Forums

Help › Forums

Any masters out there playing with starter clubs?

rated by 0 users
Sun, May 16 2010 6:42 PM (36 replies)
  • DoubleEagler
    14 Posts
    Fri, May 14 2010 6:26 PM

How you guys doing on that back 9 of St Andrews? Plenty of rolling too far past the green or stopping short. These hot-stuff masters around here brag about their low 60's scores but they're using super long drivers and dollar balls that stop on a dime. That's cheating. Anybody could get it close to the pin when your approach shot is always less than 100 yards. That's boring fish in a barrel. Real men use starter clubs. What kind of scores you guys getting with those out there? And I don't wanna see any of them cheater clubs in your equipment or your scores won't count. My mashie niblick is doing allright out there. Would be fun if somebody made a "starter club masters" country club. Send me an invite when you do.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Fri, May 14 2010 8:07 PM

So DoubleEagler... what clubs are you playing in real life?!  1998 Fuzzy Zoeller K-Mart Specials?

A craftsman (craftswoman) buys high end tools (hammers, drill sets, etc.) to do a better and more efficient job.  And a golfer who doesn't want the club to get in the way of his/her innate skills spends money on clubs.

So what exactly is the problem?

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Fri, May 14 2010 11:17 PM

DoubleEagler:

Would be fun if somebody made a "starter club masters" country club. Send me an invite when you do.

You should probably get on that, because you see most of us here at WGT have a brain... but you would know all too much about that eh? 

Seriously man, it's your own fault that you can't shoot low. If you're trying to be impressive by using Starter Clubs, it makes you look foolish and discredits any skill(s) you may actually possess. But Hell, what do I know... I play with The TaylorMade R9 Driver, Ping i15 3 Wood, Ping i15 Irons, a Daytona Putter, have 17 GI-SD balls in my bag, and shot 59 on Kiawah without birdieing two of the Par 5s... but then again... I have no idea what I'm doing! Perhaps a self-proclaimed "god" like yourself can give me some pointers. 

Hit me up with an invite sometime man, I'll be happy to beat you by eight. 

• WojciechMigda
    158 Posts
    Fri, May 14 2010 11:43 PM

DoubleEagler:
    Real men use starter clubs.

Until last week I had been using almost-starter irons ("Plus" starters) and hybrid, for 50C and 25C, respectively. I remember beating in matches masters with lower averages and far more advanced clubs. It was always fun. I still use starter balls (even though I have 4 other "dollar" balls in my bag) and 70 yds SW.

Nice post, interesting reading.

• nickuk
    967 Posts
    Sat, May 15 2010 2:13 AM

i made it to master with the starters....but that is as far as you go.....i tried to qualify for last years open....tried my darndest...but just couldnt do it....72 was my best....so i reluctantly spent some cash and qualified......yet i come bk this year to find my super duper r9 aint up to the job anymore....heyho....suppose i`ll  have to put my hands bk im my shallow pockets and get a master driver! 

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Sat, May 15 2010 7:03 AM
    no credit dblegle you fooled nobody
  • neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Sat, May 15 2010 7:22 AM

Good idea for a country club, but thats about all I got out of this post.  Why dont you start it 2xeagler?

On the same note, and its doable, just highly unlikely, it would be awesome if WGT came out with a St Andrews set of clubs, all hickory shafts, old school clubs, and balls that have the characteristics of the old "round" balls.

• nickuk
    967 Posts
    Sat, May 15 2010 8:15 AM

neildiamond11790:

Good idea for a country club, but thats about all I got out of this post.  Why dont you start it 2xeagler?

On the same note, and its doable, just highly unlikely, it would be awesome if WGT came out with a St Andrews set of clubs, all hickory shafts, old school clubs, and balls that have the characteristics of the old "round" balls.

lol yeah the old wooden balls...thats how it started.....but i`ll go for a feathery...more feel and spin!

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, May 15 2010 8:19 AM

Here we go, another WGT forum rant by a member who isn't able to shoot in the 50's, with starter clubs nonetheless. Obviously a multiple account user being you made Master in nine days. And with all 49 of your ranked rounds, I'd say you have a lot to learn with them starters, especially sporting that 70 average. Hardly something to be bragging about.

DE, you have all the right to post what you want in the WGT forums, but do us all a favor and put a sock in it. There are plenty of rant threads like the one you posted yesterday. Just play the game the way you see fit and stop making accusations about members cheating. With premium clubs no less.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Sat, May 15 2010 8:52 AM

bingo richard, not sure which is more impressive, 72 first round ever on BPB, on first CTTH 141ft with starter clubs.

RSS