Forums

Help › Forums

LAPTOPS more advantageous in play than a standard PC ?

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 11 2010 5:17 PM (8 replies)
  • pullinup
    108 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2010 2:41 PM

Over the past 11 monyhs I have had many occaisions to play with some top tier players who did reveal that they were playing on a laptop.

Even one player who is a top ten LEGEND.

And quite a few who are top 100 players.

Does anyone know WHY playing a laptop might provide such a technological advantage in the play of  this game as opposed to a standard desktop PC that could account for those players being consistantly super low in score?

I mean... I have the latest equipment, loads of RAM (3.6 GB), a 2.7 MB connection, I run a clean machine and cleanse it often. And still,with the inconsistancy of my swing meter.... I can guarantee that NO ONE will ever shoot 59 on my gear.

It does appear to me that somehow I am at somewhat of a disadvantage playing on a PC.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2010 3:14 PM

pull-My laptop is pretty much the same as your PC with the specs. It's a 64 bit OS though but I don't think that's a big difference. That being said, if you're having meter problems with that setup something else is more than likely causing you grief. 

You said you run a clean machine and keep it that way. Have you been down the different browser path? How does your msconfig look on startup? How deep into the optimizing have you been?

It might be something you've overlooked because you sure have enough machine to be able to play as easily as I do. Something's amiss because a laptop shouldn't be any different than your PC.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2010 3:44 PM

Don't know about everyone else, but my laptop works better... I take it on the side patio, in the warmth, fresh air and sun, a little wi-fi action and I sip a margarita or Pacifico.  Is there any other way to play?[View:http://www.wgt.com/themes/wgt/utility/:550:0]

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2010 4:30 PM

It offers no technological advantage, it's all ability.

• pullinup
    108 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2010 4:32 PM

Hey thanks for your reply.

Sometime last summer I started experimenting with different methods to improve play on my machine...

I tried Safari,GameBooster and GoogleChrome.

None of which seemed to help really.

And as a coincidence or not in that timeframe, I evidently picked up a virus from somewhere and a few weeks later my machine was dead. DEAD DEAD. Nothing could save it except a complete rehardware.

(I should have added that at that time I was running no anti virus, no firewall, nothing at all in an attempt to have a better game.I know that many will say that would not have had an impact on play, but they certainly did on that machine, A 1.6 GB with the original vista.

Coincidentally or not as an aside to that, it was about a week or 2 after Vista7 debuted.

Which (of course) (lol) made me wonder if thoses good people at MS sent me a little present.

As far as what I see in sysconfig, I dont have sufficient knowlege to go poking around in there without guidance.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2010 5:04 PM

pullinup:
    As far as what I see in sysconfig, I dont have sufficient knowlege to go poking around in there without guidance.

It is very simple and it's quite likely you have a bunch of stuff running that you don't need.

http://wgt.com/forums/t/6655.aspx?PageIndex=2

Scroll down to the picture and have a read. You might be surprised and maybe it will help. GL

• pullinup
    108 Posts
    Mon, May 10 2010 5:35 PM
  • YankeeJim United States

Thanks YankeeJim.

Pull.

12-05-2009 1:09 PM

Infinito3010:
    Question arises as to how much bloat is in these systems.

You can see this "bloat" real easy and you'd be surprised what boots up and runs in the background without you knowing it. Not sneaky stuff, just junk that the manufacturer wants you to use, or thinks you will. It also  happens to be a lot of the cause of the CPU spikes that cause meter problems. Take a peek.......

You need to run a windows utility from the run command.

Go to the start menu, click run and enter msconfig. What will come up looks like this:

The Normal startup" button is probably checked. Click on the Startup tab and this is what you'll see........

Here's where the bloat show up........everything you see checked is what starts up when you turn your computer on!   When you have the Normal Startup button checked all of the boxes will have a checkmark meaning they will start every time you boot up. Now, if you go back to the general tab you will see a button for Selective Startup. By clicking that you can now go back to the startup page and uncheck anything you don't want to start. Look at the garbage that's checked-it's insane. I have the OS, Java and my AV programs as the only things that start every time.

If it scares you mucking around with this kind of stuff don't worry. You can always check that Normal Startup button and rebooting will have all the boxes checked and running. This kind of attention to what you're running will free up RAM, make rebooting faster and more than likely cut way down on the CPU spikes. Kind of a lean and mean thing without dedicating everything to the game. GL

YJ

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, May 11 2010 8:01 AM

I used to think Laptops worked better then PC, but then I shot my best 9 on my PC.  I still think the game is different, but I think its just the look of it, you can still play the same.

• Greenkeepa
    55 Posts
    Tue, May 11 2010 5:17 PM

i run on a note book has way less balls then your pc, i too had problems but found that it was a combination of 2 things.

1. i had to adjust my game and fix my putting.

2. ( the main thing that helped as my swing meter was being sticky) I went into My Settings>Game Options>

in the display tab i changed the display quality and turned off a few other unnecessary things in there. Also under the advanced tab make sure the background loading is off.

• RSS