Help › Forums

WTF moments

rated by 0 users
Tue, Apr 27 2010 9:20 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • haji97071
    192 Posts
    Mon, Apr 26 2010 5:46 PM

Really getting tired of the WTF moments.  Several today.  Two were on Kiawah 17th.

1st - 4 under on the ready-go Kiawah back nine.  Wind from the right at 13 mph.  Played the shot straight, hit the ding and the ball started out over the lake and never came back.  Hit my second shot from the front of the tee at 185 yards, used 190 yard club and hit full power just to make sure, one bar width to the right of ding, the ball never came close to the green, short and way out in the lake.

2nd - 2 under on Kiawah 18 ready-go.  Same hole, same result.  wind from the right again at 9 mph.  

At the urging of several players responding to my previous posts about the ball having a mind of it's own, I have purchased the "precision" irons, "precision" putter, and anything else that I can think of.  

Really getting frustrated, (have been on WGT for a year), I have had much positive response on the forum but there are those who have been here for a month or so that continually respond to the forum gripes with, "if you don't like it, you don't have to play", i would prefer if you are thinking of that type of response, go take a crap instead.

Also any advise on putting would be appreciated, have a terrible time reading the break, a little too much or a little too little.  I am getting tired of hitting 3-5 inch putts.  Not having a problem with distance, just the break.  Any suggestions. 

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Apr 26 2010 6:24 PM

haji97071:
     Hit my second shot from the front of the tee at 185 yards, used 190 yard club and hit full power just to make sure, one bar width to the right of ding, the ball never came close to the green,

Did you check your lie percentage? I'm sure that's the tall stuff in front of the tee-box. A 200 yard iron with 90%+ strength, and a little back spin should of been the iron of choice. I always club-up, or hit full strength with the club the caddy offers when I'm hitting from a lie other than the fairway. Try it again in a practice round.

I've noticed shots one pixel off ding will make the ball travel off-line as much as 10+ yards with a 4 MPH wind.

I putt to miss ding. I probably won't be much help there. I do know you have to have enough speed through the break to keep the ball on line.

Good luck haji.

• haji97071
    192 Posts
    Mon, Apr 26 2010 11:22 PM

thanks richard4168, appreciate the input.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Tue, Apr 27 2010 1:42 AM

Hi Haji,

Dont forget the club distance stated is the addition of the carry distance + the roll out distance. You need to know those two distances to make the right choice of club.

Dont just look at the total club distance for your shot, its the carry that is important, especially over water - and on most fairways. A 190 yard club might carry say 175 or whatever (just a guess), and roll out to 190 yds OK ?  you get my drift?

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Doug

1,644 Posts
    Tue, Apr 27 2010 5:38 AM

haji97071:
    Also any advise on putting would be appreciated, have a terrible time reading the break, a little too much or a little too little.  I am getting tired of hitting 3-5 inch putts.  Not having a problem with distance, just the break.  Any suggestions.
    Well sir, that is the hardest part of the game isn't it?  (both here and in RL)  And like what has been said in the forums before there is no surefire calculation or method to reading the break, it's all about experience and feel.  One thing I can offer is, if you normally try to get the perfect distance to get to the hole all the time, try stroking the putt a bit harder than normal and take some of the break out of the putt.  The other piece of advice is to visualize the putt... I know it sounds corny on a computer game, but it really does work.  After you set your initial line, imagine the putt rolling in your head, if you think you need to adjust, do so, then imagine it one more time to check, then hit.  Try this for a while and pretty soon you will start to recognize putts that you've seen before and how to adjust for them.  That's the best I can do, and just like the real thing, sometimes you can read them all day, other day you're better off reading a book!

• RChapman2010
    172 Posts
    Tue, Apr 27 2010 8:19 AM

Lord knows I'm not the one to be giving advice, but I've noticed that I putt better from the reverse view (player behind the hole)...  for some reason I can "see" the break better...  again, fwiw...   hth.

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Tue, Apr 27 2010 9:40 AM

Haj .. that was good advice ... I just took a crap and feel much better.   :)

Now to your question --- and if you already know this .. disregard .. but it took me almost a year to understand this relationship to my shot.

The lines on the meter that move have a huge impact on the shots when you miss the meter even by just a touch.

Try this --- pull your meter back and hold it there for a few seconds --- you'll notice as you hold the shot back --- the lines move in towards the center point.   This effects how your shot will fly.   If the lines are farthest from the center line ---- your mis-hit will not move as much .... If you hold your shot back to get the right distance, the lines will move in .. making the "sweet spot" smaller .... and a mis hit even by a little bit will have a much bigger impact on how your shot flies.  

What I have started doing is ... measuring out my backswing to get it where I want it .... then letting the meter run through ... then shooting quickly on the 2nd swing.    Not only does it clear the meter but it makes a mis hit not fly as far off line.

Not sure I am explaining this correctly so if anyone can add to it .. I appreciate it.

• Fuzzygazz
    1,469 Posts
    Tue, Apr 27 2010 4:57 PM

I asked wgt about the meter lines closing about year and half ago. I was told it was to make it harder to hit center cause it was was smaller. I asked what was there to keep you from just setting up your shot again? I found the thread.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/195.aspx

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Apr 27 2010 5:35 PM

Hey Fuzzy.. here is something WGTNiv wrote very recently...

WGTniv:
    1.) The light blue area is the forgiveness zone. Mishits in the forgiveness zone aren't penalized nearly as much as mishits in the dark blue or black area.  The forgiveness zone shrinks as you increase power, but also if you hold on to your backswing too long.

Hope that helps you...

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, Apr 27 2010 5:45 PM

Snaike:
    here is something WGTNiv wrote very recently...

That's the best explanation to what Ivietri was talking about too. Good one Snaike.

• PAGES
RSS