Forums

Help › Forums

Masters and general etiquette

rated by 0 users
Sat, Apr 24 2010 4:14 PM (5 replies)
  • Steveroo
    176 Posts
    Thu, Apr 22 2010 7:12 AM

Why, with a single bad shot do 80% of the Masters that join a game, QUIT??? You worked hard to get that good average but it doesn't mean you're perfect. Tiger shot crap, and for big money, you lose nothing and if it's a pride thing, then maybe masters should only play with masters.( To the Masters out there that simply enjoy the game, my apologies for generalizing). Also  if you're going to quit, regardless of tier, a simple "I gotta go" leaves the game more enjoyable, and doesn't freeze the guys that want to continue out

I think if anyone that decides to sneak out of a game that they voluntarily joined they should be hit with a 1 point increase in their average. That would stop a lot of nonsense, and a lot of poor sportsmanship.

Personally I don't mind getting the pants beat off me, but I do want to finish the game..you can't get ANY better by quitting. On the "REAL" course almost any Master will provide insight, education, and tips to better your game.. I've never had one walk away because he hit a bunker on the 1st hole.You've earned the right to be noble and proud. Don't let that stop you from being a good sport.There are a lot of people that are content to be a petty officer and have no desire to be an Admiral, and they're still an important part of the overall scheme. Don't judge without expecting judgement in return. Okay, my turn on the soapbox is over. I LOVE this game.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Apr 22 2010 9:30 AM

Steveroo....  I understand your frustration, I really do.  You start a multiplayer game and it ends up being solo, not what you signed up for, and it irritates you.  It's been one of the biggest topics on this board since the time that we only had stroke play on the front half of Kiawah, and it's a fact of life that people on a computer will just leave.

In regards to your idea of a +1 for bailing... I'm sorry, but it just won't work.  Once you have reached the Master level, your score/average means nothing at all in the scheme of WGT.

We have to deal with it... each in their own way.  Personally I don't like to be left alone either, but I understand why some do it.  I don't.  I have left one MPlayer game in my time here and that was because one person in the foursome was being a piece of dung...  and everyone left.  That being said, I will tell you that my argument from the beginning is that quitting, in the grand scheme of things, doesn't matter.  Is it irritating? Yes.  Is it an inconvenience?  Yes. 

Is there a way around it?  Yes.

Look at the WGTLS ladders at www.wgtls.co.uk.  There are hundreds of people there, waiting and willing to play full games for fun and competition and a generally good time.  Mark has done a fabulous job of setting everything up from general 9 and 18 hole games, to guilds, tourneys, challenges etc etc etc.  They have their own forums, chat rooms, and even an arcade full of various and sundry games to play to wile away the time.  Guaranteed to build your friends list, supply you with endless hours of WGT enjoyment and perhaps a laugh or two.

Bottom line is this.... Random MPlayer games will include people who will quit.  We can't change that, even with "Reputation Tracking".  To avoid them, play with others who share a common goal....  The goal to have fun with this silly little thing we call WGT.

Peace.

• Steveroo
    176 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 1:55 PM

Thanks for an informed and well thought out comment on my post..and ya know.. I believe you have swayed my outlook. I talked to a "duffer" once concerning the uk group, and I will check them out, as I understand it, there's a lot more comraderie, and a lot less quitting. You are correct in that it IS frustrating, but also correct in  that the goal is having fun, and yes, I can have that without being in a group. Thanx again for smoothing my feathers, and for being defensive without being offensive. All the best and may the Birdies fly your way !!!

steveroo

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 2:11 PM

Certainly most welcome.  I am glad to have played a bit part in making your stay here at WGT a bit more comfortable.

Enjoy the golf and the friends you'll undoubtably make.

Peace.

• TarheelsRule
    5,477 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 2:17 PM
    Just to be clear, the quitting isn't something that only is done by Masters. I had 3 games today with 2 to 3 pros per game, all of whom quit before the 6th hole. I have the choice of finishing as a solo or quitting and finding another group. The penalty stroke won't matter for a master, we can't progress up in terms of tiers or down so average means little other than vanity. I don't think there is a real solution to the quitting issue, I had something mention the other day that the real way to penalize them would be to not allow them to play again for an hour or something like that. That is probably the most sane theory that I have heard but for those who get booted or have to quit for another reason it would suck.
  • Steveroo
    176 Posts
    Sat, Apr 24 2010 4:14 PM

tx for the reply THR  I guess it's just someting a guy hasta deal with.. and to be fair, I have quit a few times myself, usually with 8 or more over, and I usually excuse myself and haven't run into a lot of nay saying regarding that. If a guy explains WHY he's quitting, it goes a long way toward our playing together in the future...I'm guessing that there will never be a penalty but that's alright too as long as we all try n make the game better . I'll keep my eyes peeled for ya... hahahah than we'll see who gets cold feet ( prolly me) good golf to ya brother!!

RSS