Forums

Help › Forums

I need putter help.

Tue, Apr 13 2010 1:41 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 2:33 PM

Buying a putter here is one thing-I'm happy as a clam with the Redwood. However, I need to get a new real game putter and it's been over 20 years since I considered this. I currently use a Swingline putter-your basic 20 year ago putter. I like it and it works ok but when I switched to the Callaway irons this past year I was astounded at the performance increase over my Axioms. (yeah, I'm a little slow to adapt.) 

Does the same thing apply to putters and if it does what do I need to pay attention to? I realize putting is a feel thing but before I start swinging the modern versions I would like to know what to expect. I know there's a lot of good real life golfers playing here and I would appreciate your advice.

TY

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 3:18 PM

Jim, some pro players switch putters more than mistresses.  There's nothing specific you should be looking for other than having proper form in the first place and using equipment that fits your stroke.

Some prefer the softer feel of an insert and some like the click of metal.   Some like the solid feel of a blade and some like the hollow feel of perimeter weighting and a high MOI.  Go to the place in your area that has the best selection of putters and start rolling.  Maybe one will stick out or maybe you'll narrow it down to a few.  Perhaps you may even find a demo to take on the course with you.  Make sure to bring the brand of balls you usually play with as ball composition can have a lot to do with feel.  

In addition, if you find one you like you can get it cheaper used or new through ebay.  I always like to try new equipment and ebay has provided a cost-effective means to do this.

• NikolajK
    36 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2010 9:58 AM

Speaking about the Redwood putter, can anyone explain the increments in the 15 yards meter to me?

I have this feeling that there are 2½ steps. I would have expected 3 x 5 yards, but I'm not sure.

• NormH3
    214 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2010 11:28 AM

Although I don't own one personally, any of the Rife putters seem to get cudos from players that use them. I plan to purchase one in the near future

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2010 11:31 AM

NikolajK:
    I have this feeling that there are 2½ steps. I would have expected 3 x 5 yards, but I'm not sure.

You're exactly right-2 1/2 steps. 15 by 2 1/2 =6  6  3  for the moves on the slow green or better said, the first 2 are the same value and there's 1/2 of a value left over.

My thought on the original post was if this golf is emulating the real thing then I wonder how different the Daytona, Redwood and Spider are IRL. I get the feel thing and this will probably determine what I get but I'm going to see if i can tell the difference between the 3 when looking.

• NikolajK
    36 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2010 11:36 AM

YankeeJim:

NikolajK:

You're exactly right-2 1/2 steps. 15 by 2 1/2 =6  6  3  for the moves on the slow green or better said, the first 2 are the same value and there's 1/2 of a value left over.

Thx a million - I've been struggling with that one :-)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2010 11:44 AM

NikolajK:
    Thx a million - I've been struggling with that one :-)

LOL-Here's more to struggle with. I'm assuming you're giving the avatar move method a try and I think that's a good move, no pun intended. I have since my start and here are the values I use to this day. 6  6  9  12  15   on slow greens.  When Fast greens came out I figured out for myself that to compensate for the speed change the scale yardages changed exactly 33% across the board.   8  8  12  16  20 are what I use for the fast greens. These are pretty consistent for me and you'll adapt to your feel but this should get you close for a start. GL

• NikolajK
    36 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2010 12:44 PM

Obviously I have a lot to learn :-) Thx so far.........

Yes - I am trying out the avatar move method, and let me just see if I got you right here:

6 = 15 scale
    6 = 30 scale
    9 = 45 scale
    12 = 90 scale
    15 = 150 scale
    and never mind 300 scale

So far I have used this on all types of greens (not knowing any better)

Basicly You're telling me to add 33% on fast greens. Is that correct and how many types of greens are there?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2010 1:00 PM

NikolajK:
    Basicly You're telling me to add 33% on fast greens. Is that correct and how many types of greens are there?

Yes, that's what I did. 6 becomes 8 9 becomes 12, etc.  I think there's 4 or 5 but you'll see the difference when you use those values in your post on fast or very fast greens. Everything will be coming up short. Use separate values for each green speed. 

The best way to get a handle of what works for you is to set up a practice round at BPB, back 9. Red tees, no wind, slow greens. The 10th and 11th greens there are huge and relatively flat. Get on in 2 and you'll have 8 putts before you're maxed out. Putt back and forth to get your feel and distances down. Don't worry about break until you master the distance-the 2 go hand in hand but the correct distance on your putts is what will get them in the hole. After 11 you can restart and get another 16 putts in a short amount of time. Set the next round to fast greens and do the same thing. You get the idea.

It's a bit tedious but extremely beneficial because your putting is almost 50% of your game. :-)

• NikolajK
    36 Posts
    Mon, Apr 12 2010 1:14 PM

Thx again - I'm on my way to BPB :-)

Somehow it's ridiculous. I've been playing golf for 15 years. For the last month or so I've spent more time practice putting in WGT, than I ever did on a real practice green. This game is definately very addictive.

• PAGES
RSS