Forums

Help › Forums

fake averages

rated by 0 users
Wed, Apr 14 2010 8:22 PM (7 replies)
  • semperfi1951
    7 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 1:11 AM

i guess it's my upbringing or maybe because i'm a retired marine but i never quit anything in my life, i've never seen so many quitters on one site , one bad shot and they disconnect, just tells me that all there averages are just *** and not real , grow up people and finish what you start, i guess your life is the same way never finish anything and contiune to live your lie.....

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 1:51 AM

Holy smokes the few and proud are representing tonight.

Random multiplayer games can have random results.  Try joining a community like the Ladders or maybe get a group of current and ex military playing together.  There seems to be a few floating around this evening on a certain thread regarding the stars and stripes.

I just read your last post from a month ago basically regarding the same topic.  I must say that it gave me a visual of you running a platoon of convicted WGT quitters through an obstacle course while yelling profusely at them (a la Full Metal Jacket).  This made me laugh quite hard.  I would pay decent money to see you put all the players that have quit on you through a few training exercises.  

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 12:04 PM

semperfi1951,

If you don't wish to go outside of WGT to find a group to play with, use your friends list to keep a rolling list of those you play with that do not quit. It is a nuisance that WGT attempted to address once, but it did not work. Until they get it corrected, it works well to only add friends to your friends list that show that they finish rounds, and then start a game yourself and only request those friends. Of course, in order to get a large enough friends list built, you have to expose yourself to everyone (including quitters) in order to build that friends list. There are actually times that I join a foursome and actually have all 4 finish a round, but it is few and far between.

• chazzgolf
    1 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 4:19 PM
    ITS A GAME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 10:07 PM

I think you're putting way too much on people's averages.

When people tee up next to Phil Mickelson, they aren't thinking "3-time Master's Champion Phil Mickelson," they are thinking "Fellow golfer Phil Mickelson."

It doesn't matter how he got there, all that matters is that you can beat him, whatever his "real average" happens to be.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 10:18 PM

I was curious. If averages don't matter, why have them?

Why not set something up to where averages do mean something?

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Wed, Apr 14 2010 5:58 PM

semperfi1951:

i guess it's my upbringing or maybe because i'm a retired marine but i never quit anything in my life, i've never seen so many quitters on one site , one bad shot and they disconnect, just tells me that all there averages are just *** and not real , grow up people and finish what you start, i guess your life is the same way never finish anything and contiune to live your lie.....

Firstly I would like to offer my sincerest gratitude to you and anyone else who has served this great country of ours.

Just want to help you understand that for many folks like me average has absolutely nothing to do with quitting.  I mostly play Ready Go tournaments and probably withdraw from 1 out of 6, but even more lately.  I play these tournaments to win or place very highly but when the meter screws me horribly I will bail in a heartbeat.  This isn't to skew my average but rather because I don't feel like wasting my time if I'm only going to get my money back i wagered to enter the tournament.  I can make many more credits by dropping out of the tourney and playing several others or heading out to find a Match Play Challenge.

The skewed average actually hurts me because many people in the MPC lobby see my average and dump the game before we ever start.  I'm currently around a 60 average but 62 would probably be closer to the truth.  I don't quit multiplayer games but have no problem quitting when I'm by myself.  

It's also been stated above, but this is just a GAME.  Drawing correlations between the way people choose to play golf on WGT and how the lead their LIVES leads me straight back to your comment about growing up.  Take a few steps toward your restroom.  I assume you have a mirror in there.

If you'd like to test the waters of my big lie, give me a try sometime for a $5 challenge game

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Apr 14 2010 8:22 PM

It is impossible to make a dime on an average alone. There are many sub 60 averages and yet when stats are checked one finds that some of the sub 60 averages are lacking even one sub 60 18 hole score. If someone chooses to pursue an exceptional average by cherry picking only the very best of the best scores they are capable of, if they have fun doing so, I say play on. It must be a fun thing for the person playing, otherwise, why play? One size does not fit all here. I'm the idiot, I post it all, and for me, at times it is fun.

RSS