Augusta 2010

rated by 0 users
Sun, Apr 11 2010 2:07 AM (20 replies)
  • OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Fri, Apr 9 2010 6:52 PM

SweetiePie:
    Why do you ask?

I just thought he had an interesting choice in attire this week and since you displayed prior disdain for his look, I wondered if the more formal approach would push his application toward the head of the pack.  I guess the humor didn't translate as intended there.  My bad.

On a side note, he recently choose to sign with Scratch Golf.  If you're not familiar, they supposedly make the best wedges in the game and more and more professionals who aren't paid for playing certain equipment have switched to their custom forgings.   They've been quite the rage for hardcore golf enthusiasts for a couple years now.  I think you said you play an old school Mizuno blade, so maybe you can appreciate a higher performing, but perhaps lesser known brand name.

The article on Poulter from CBS is a good read though if you haven't checked it out yet.  

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Apr 9 2010 7:59 PM

Thanks Oak for the heads up on Scratch Wedges...didn't know about them...but I will..Thank You! They look very trad&refined

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 8:36 AM

Nice shout out on the Scratch, Oak….I have 2 old Clevelands in the bag now.

Your humor always translates.

Here's a link to the Golf Digest "Hot List" 2010, always a fun read each year.

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 9:39 AM

The last 4 pairings today are classic.

Mickelson/Yang  

Barnes/Kim

Woods/Choi

Poulter/Westwood

Wow...what a "Moving Day"

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 10:18 AM

SweetiePie:

AlaCowboy:

Y. E. Yang. 2009 PGA champion. 

Oh please Cowboy...I know who he is, I just don't care. Also, almost jail-bait is just like almost pregnant...and in both cases the protaganist is always miss identifed. 

Sorry. I just responded to what I took to be a legitimate question. Won't do it again.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 10:55 AM

AlaCowboy:

SweetiePie:

AlaCowboy:

Oh please Cowboy...I know who he is, I just don't care. Also, almost jail-bait is just like almost pregnant...and in both cases the protaganist is always miss identifed. 

Sorry. I just responded to what I took to be a legitimate question. Won't do it again.

Actually, I'm sorry...it was a stupid comment I wish I had not made. My tongue gets in my way at times. Sorry

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 11:14 AM

Thanks Boffman.  I still have a couple 588's that see some occasional playing time, one being a 60* copper head.  I seem to prefer my Bobby Jones Pelz wedges for touch around the green and must confess that I'm unfortunately more mechanic and less artist with my short game.  

I always like to look at players making equipment changes for big tournaments.  The forums at golfwrx and BSG keep me abreast of changes and prototypes.

I'm sure many have noticed Tiger's different colored driver shaft this week.  For the first time he's using a 9.5-degree 420cc Nike VR Tour driver with a Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7X shaft.   Apparently he owes the switch to Chucky 3 sticks while they were playing a practice round together in March in Windermere.   Tiger asked CH3 if he could try his driver out and the rest is history.  The shaft is mid-kick and weighs 75 grams.  The change was from his Nike SQ Dymo 380cc with a high kicking Diamana White Board 83g shaft.  This week he has hit 20 of 29 fairways for 71.43%, an almost 10% improvement from his accuracy at the PGA last year.

He also switch his lob wedge from 60 to 62 degrees.  These changes must be working at least mentally because his distance has been up a little and he has hit 26 greens in regulation, ranking among the top 10 in that category. However, he has totaled 59 putts, barely cracking the top 50.  If he can just work out the kinks in his Cameron sooner rather than later he might be sporting another green jacket come Sunday.

It was interesting to hear Phil in his post-round interview yesterday.  Talking about Augusta not having as much long rough and his confidence in the ability to scramble if missing the fairway.  He said that at Augusta he really swings harder than at any other golf course that he plays.  I guess he's right because he leads the tourny in driving distance.  Interesting enough Phil switched drivers too, although he's probably the biggest tinkerer on Tour.  

Phil is using a 6.2 degree FT9 TA with a 59 gram Fubuki prototype shaft that reportedly is 48 inches.  Lefty is cutting edge for sure.  That thing would feel like a wet noodle in my hands.

48 inches and only 59 grams at a swing speed approaching 130 MPH.  Wow.

• SWoods
    62 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 12:17 PM

Tiger, Mickie or Westwood

Take your pick.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 12:18 PM

SweetiePie:

AlaCowboy:

SweetiePie:

AlaCowboy:

Actually, I'm sorry...it was a stupid comment I wish I had not made. My tongue gets in my way at times. Sorry

No problem.

• smason77
    464 Posts
    Sat, Apr 10 2010 6:41 PM

GOOO Phil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RSS