Forums

Help › Forums

could the multiplayer disconnects be caused by explorer??

Fri, Apr 9 2010 8:47 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • TurkishTerror
    2,177 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2010 9:05 AM

I have noticed that when I am on the WGT website and not playing, sometimes WGT tells me that the connection was lost and ask if I would I like to retry to connect.  You think mabye my internet is disconnecting for a fraction of a second and thus creating my disconnect problems on multiplayer?  It can't be because I dont ever get the message when I play single player, right??

What do you guys think?

PS.  I have already cleared cache, got Adobe 10, and did this and that, basically what was suggested by NIV

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2010 9:14 AM

TurkishTerror:
    I have noticed that when I am on the WGT website and not playing, sometimes WGT tells me that the connection was lost and ask if I would I like to retry to connect.  You think mabye my internet is disconnecting for a fraction of a second and thus creating my disconnect problems on multiplayer? 

I have had this happen to me several times and it's always because I either bumped the LAN line to my laptop or the ISP stumbled. You can see this by observing the modem lights when it happens. The gist is that it's on my end, not the site's.

As for the multiplayer disconnect it may or may not be involved but every time this happens to me the browser doesn't shut down and  the popup asking to retry to connect shows up. If the retry works, and it will if the connection is reestablished, you pick up right where you left off.

• TurkishTerror
    2,177 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2010 11:28 AM

Nah, forget it.  It happens in single player too.........WTF is going on with my desktop???

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2010 11:46 AM

TT

What type of connection are you using? Are you set up wirelessly, or hard wired?

• TurkishTerror
    2,177 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2010 1:06 PM

VHL, I am using a hard line connection to high speed

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2010 1:20 PM

Turk,

Have you tried using Firefox or Chrome instead of Internet Explorer to see if it's just an IE problem? 

*Note* After installing either of these two browsers you'll need to re-install Flash.  Flash operates from a plugin for FF and Chrome, but is an active_x control in IE.

• TurkishTerror
    2,177 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2010 1:55 PM

thanks i will give that a try

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2010 2:02 PM

TurkishTerror:

VHL, I am using a hard line connection to high speed

Well, there goes the possibility of an intermittent wireless connection due to a hardware setting.... Any chance you are using DSL? If so, it might be worth checking the DSL filters on each line, as bleed-over can cause these types of issues in such a case.

If this is a windows based pc and you have the connection notification icon in the taskbar, you can right-click it and choose the 'status' option to see how long the current connection has been active. If it says it has been active for 8 hours, for instance, and you have had troubles within that window, then it may not be a connection issue after all.

• TurkishTerror
    2,177 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2010 3:53 PM

Thanks VHL.  Its not the connection.  Its going on 7 hrs strong and I have been getting disconnected all day.

NIV, I tried the Firefox and it still got disconnected

I HOPE THIS WGT UPDATE THEY ARE DOING TONIGHT WILL FIX THIS   !!!!!!!

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Thu, Apr 8 2010 6:05 PM

TT,

I have noticed all afternoon that as I navigate around WGT I sometimes load pages where I am not logged in, and then it seems to come back the next page that I navigate to. I'm guessing both our issues are related to prep for the system maintenance that is scheduled for tnght, or related server strain. I'd hold off on doing anything extreme until after the updates, and then see what happens.

• PAGES
RSS