Forums

Help › Forums

There's a new cartoon golf course...

rated by 0 users
Fri, Apr 2 2010 8:56 PM (5 replies)
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Mar 22 2010 5:42 PM

The other game has released another course.  So, if you like your cartoon golf, you now have a chance to play 18 on:

• Torrey Pines GC
    • TPC Sawgrass
    • Pebble Beach Golf Links®
    • St. Andrews (Old Course)
    • Sheshan Golf & CC
    • Wolf Creek GC
    • Wentworth (West Course)

And, with today's addition, you are now able to play on The King's Course. 

• Arnold Palmer's Bay Hill Club and Lodge®

Now, I'm not saying it's better golf in the other game, but if you want a real look at some different courses, that's where you should be.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled meter stutter and shank...

• Jablonsky
    1 Posts
    Thu, Apr 1 2010 6:46 PM

I'd like to ask a serious question without getting my head bitten off.

Why is this online golf game better than the "cartoon golf" game? I've tried a little of both I'm not sure which one I'd like to invest my time in.

I'm sure I'll get biased responses but I'd like to know why this one is SO much better.

Thank you.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 11:06 AM

Well, I won't bite but I will be biased.

Now, this is just my opinion... your mileage may vary, past performance is not a guarantee of future results, etc. etc etc.

I play golf in real life.  I'm not very good at it, breaking 90 is a damned fine day for me, but I have a really good time doing it.  Being lucky enough to live in an area where I can play pretty much year-round with a couple of different foursomes....  good fun.

WGT, in my opinion, (besides the odd meter skip/stutter) mimics my game pretty much to a "T"...  300yds off the tee on a good day, 260 on a bad, 225 into the wind... the odd deviations and "WTF" moments while the ball is in flght and the shanked chips, pitches and putts that come up 2" short, etc.

So, it feels like home when I want to get in a round on the computer.  I like it.  I wish there were more courses but then again so does everyone else.

Its golf, played on a computer, as a game.

It's what is known as a "Realistic Simulator"... or as close as that oxymoron will allow.

Whereas the other game... the cartoon game... is a game, played on the computer, as golf.

It's too easy.  Wolf Creek, par 5 17th and the par 5 6th... I've ACED them both.

Tell me, besides in a cartoon, can anyone in this world ACE a par 5, let alone 2 different holes on any course without a windmill and a clown?

There are a few people here who have played that course at <-40.  One shot a -37.  37...  Averages out to an eagle on EVERY hole... including aces on all par 3s.

Now there are some here who will chime in .. ."yea, but that's playing on the easiest settings, if you crank up the difficulty you'll have a much harder time!"

To that I say, "So?  It's still a cartoon, no matter how difficult you try to make it."

And that's just the playability.. there are other threads here that will get into the graphix, so I won't  have to. 

Lastly, don't even get me started on the 12 year old crowd that populates any and all chat channels.

No thanks.

I hope that answers your question Jablonsky.  No biting and a very biased opinion.. but then again, opinions are biased by nature.

Have a nice day.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 11:09 AM

Very simply its the "physics" which really means the realism and the graphics.

• imcoola
    228 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 12:43 PM

Snaike:

It's too easy.  Wolf Creek, par 5 17th and the par 5 6th... I've ACED them both.

Tell me, besides in a cartoon, can anyone in this world ACE a par 5, let alone 2 different holes on any course without a windmill and a clown?

well nothing against you but I read of a few golfers who made an ace on a par 5 but it is extremely rare. But yes it seems possible to ace the short par 5s with an great shot;)

but normaly it's impossible how you said

regards

• UniBooboo
    42 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 8:56 PM

In my opinion this is the better because in order to improve you have to practice and learn the courses. The other I believe you can improve by purchasing skills.  Now I know you can buy equipment on WGT to improve but that's just the same as in real life ( they are even modeled after the manufacturers specs.). The one thing the other possibly has over WGT is the way the profile and stats are displayed, it just seems to be organized a little better.  Having said that  I will take the photo realistic courses and game play of WGT over the other any day. 

Example of statement above:

RSS