Forums

Help › Forums

Re: LEAVING is RUDE

Tue, Mar 30 2010 1:22 PM (27 replies)
  • jcs89
    172 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 11:05 AM

I have found that more masters quit than hacks or pros for the simple reason of protecting their average. My last 2 times playing in a threesome, a master has quit.  I actually enjoy playing with an amateur or pro.  They don't get too upset with a few bogeys and are often more cordial and fun to talk to.

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 11:15 AM

Doug614:

I agree 100%.  I've only been playing for a couple of days.  I'm still new at this game.  I make bad shots.  I miss easy putts.  But I always finish the game.  I just played a game with someone who made a double bogey on the second hole.  He quit.  Gimme a break.  What, do you feel I'll think less of you because you didnt have a good hole?  He said he was leaving because that game was going to ruin his average.  Whatever...

Good choice Doug. This way you can track your TRUE progress. By the way, could you give me the name of the Avg. Savorer ? I feel a Matchplay Challenge is calling his name. LOL.   An Avg. is a combination of posted scores , not a list of scores you choose to post. Just as Sweetiepie said, the guy is on a path to "Bolognaville".

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 11:21 AM

jcs89:

I have found that more masters quit than hacks or pros for the simple reason of protecting their average. My last 2 times playing in a threesome, a master has quit.  I actually enjoy playing with an amateur or pro.  They don't get too upset with a few bogeys and are often more cordial and fun to talk to.

Sorry to hear that  jcs .  Girls generally don't carry an ego in our bag, so you could always send me a game invite.  :)

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 11:47 AM

jcs89:

The problem is that most people have no clue how average is computed.

1 bad round will not affect your average since it most likely will be one of the scores dropped in the computing of your average.  

But I'll also follow up with my usual statement that average doesn't win you anything in this game.    It's just a number.

• jcs89
    172 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 12:48 PM

I agree 100%.  Since the low 4 of the last 14 scores are dropped, they do nothing to affect your average.  One could shoot a decent score and their average drop while a poor score would not affect it.  And like you said, it's just a number.  Once a master, always a master. I know i just repeated a lot of what marioh wrote, but it needed to be emphasized. 

• ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 1:01 PM

You guys put way too much energy into this quitting stuff.  This is a video game.  People are going to play it in the way they see fit.  I'm quite sure none of these "quitters" care about what members of a video game message board think about them.  This place is not real life fellas'.  In fact I would venture to say that many members who read these incessant quitting posts might consider quitting just to piss you guys off.  

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 1:11 PM

It all seems so contradictory.  Joining a round to play with and enjoy camaraderie with others.  Then quitting.

I suggest that if you know you have a propensity to quit (for good or a myriad of other reasons) then don't sucker punch others to be disappointed with your hasty retreat.  Play by yourself.

Now, if you join others and they won't socially chat or they take gobs of time on every shot... then maybe quitting is not such a bad thing.  But do say something polite and constructive as you leave.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 1:22 PM

Please allow me to reproduce something here that I wrote for another thread.

The message below is as appropriate for this thread as it was the other.

Thank you.

I understand your frustrations...  there are ways to alleviate this (quitters) problem.

• Join the ladders ...  www.wgtls.co.uk
    • Play with friends only
    • Play Matchplay Challenges (when they quit, you get paid!)
    • Don't play random pick up games.

Having said that, please understand that this is 'just a video game'.  People will leave for whatever reason suits them at that time and there is nothing you, personally, can do about it.  You can not equate this video game to actually stepping out on the links for an afternoon with your foursome, complete with bad jokes, a bit of teasing, some alcoholic beverages, and the occasional "stick-em!" shot of the day.  The only thing this video game has in common with a day on the links is they are both called 'golf'.  As much as we like WGT, warts and all, even on it's best day it still falls miserably short of the real thing.

IMHO, the worst day on the local chewed-up-and-spat-out muni still beats the best day online.

Also, I can assure you that "quitting to protect an average" does more harm than good.  These folks will make it to the highest tier by posting all of their best rounds, only to find that they can't compete anymore.  And the folks that are already in the Master tier can't protect their average anymore, because once you make Master, you can never go back.

So, if someone quits it's ~their~ problem, not yours.  Play on.  Shoot the best score you can and worry about making your own game the best it can be.

Of the points above, if others quitting really irritates you, I will strenuously urge you to join the ladders.  Great fun there, lots to do besides play golf, and I can almost guarantee that you'll have at least a dozen new friends that you WANT to play golf with in less than a week.

Have a 'quitter-less" day!

RSS