Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Need some help

Fri, Mar 5 2010 7:10 AM (3 replies)
  • cougar1234
    7 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 5:45 AM

I have two issues:
    1. Can someone explain how to hit out of the rough near the green.  I am usually way to soft or too hard in my swing.  Especially if the rough is 30-40 % or 50-60% .

2. I am hearing about a caddy to help you out.  I downloaded it but do not know how to use it.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 5:50 AM

John-You can't really download anything that will help you in this game. There are 2 advertised "caddies" out there. One of them is a complete scam and the other is just an overlay that puts hash marks on your meter-totally harmless and does absolutely nothing for you other than provide a visual aid.

The Chip and Pitch Tips under FAQs over there------------> is a great primer on the subject. Basically, when chipping from the rough, do not use a swing less than 75%. It will chunk every time. GL

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 6:53 AM

Easiest way to start is use the Pitch Shot .. from 40/50 rough it goes just about the suggested distance ... i.e. a 17 yard pitch should go about 17 yards give or take for the speed of the green and the slope.    A touch off for 30/40 and it's a good way to start getting up and down while you practice, get a feel for the game and read the Chipping and Pitching Tips.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Mar 5 2010 7:10 AM

Hi John (cougar),

These guys are right on the money, and the FAQ's are very helpful too, but I use an even easier approach.

I like to use the punch shot with the 64 degree Z Satin wedge. It's most effective at 20 yards and in. A lot of the time, you only need to use 50% strength or less, and the good spin of the wedges stops it close. You'll get some roll on a downhill pin placement.

It's that in-particular wedge that makes a lot of shots stop close. You can use it for full shots 50 yards and in as well. With a good spin ball, it will stop it dead on a dime.

I hope this is helpful.

GL

RSS