Help › Forums

Re: The Great Iron Debate

rated by 0 users
Thu, Mar 4 2010 12:23 PM (6 replies)
  • HoleItSucker
    53 Posts
    Thu, Mar 4 2010 4:35 AM

Friends of the Virtual Links,

My buddy and I shanghaied our way into some credits via Netflix . We are  confronted by, quite possibly, the hardest decision of our WGT lives:

Ping Master G10 iron set (1200 credits)?

or

New Taylor R9 iron set (1250 credits)?

My contention is that the Pings are better because they have a high trajectory and the ball will settle easier on the greens because of it.  Plus, they are 50 credits cheaper.  

The opposing viewpoint is, the Taylors have a medium/high trajectory, but they rate half a circle higher in the spin category.  Plus, they look much better than the Pings.

Which one should we buy?  Does the Taylor's half-circle spin advantage even out the Ping's trajectory advantage?  

Thanks!

• TaterNater
    545 Posts
    Thu, Mar 4 2010 5:15 AM

the g10s precison is better plus higher trajectory beats out that half a circle of spin.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Mar 4 2010 5:35 AM

HoleItSucker:
    Which one should we buy?  Does the Taylor's half-circle spin advantage even out the Ping's trajectory advantage?

I can speak from a position of experience with both sets. Thanks to Bollux, ncviz, Tater and a host of others, discussing that very subject earlier this year in this forum, I switched to the Pings from the TMs. The difference is immediately noticeable for the very reason you have pointed out-the trajectory. They do settle on greens like you would expect but it's the loft that gets you birdies on a number of elevated greens at BPB. The TM's low trajectory is nice in the wind but they don't get over certain elevations without blasting through the green.

I am still learning these clubs as I played the TM's for about 8 months before switching. Wind affects them quite a lot more than the TMs . By way of example I used the TMs at SA in a RG where the wind was howling.I found it quite manageable with the TMs and got a 33 out of it, borking 2 easy birdies.  Playing the same conditions in practice with the Pings was much harder because of that loft because without huge practice you really have to be careful how to aim and judge distance affect.

Spend your money on the Pings. Look at the bags of the top golfers like I did and I think you'll find the Pings with GI-SD balls in most of them.  The Satin wedges do not have equals, IMO so a combination of the two is a good move. GL

• cyl6
    347 Posts
    Thu, Mar 4 2010 5:49 AM

IMO, there's no comparison. The Ping G10 irons are easily better than the Taylor Made master set.  I actually played the G10's, switched to the TM's for fun, and gave up and went back.  You simply cannot stop the ball on the green as easily with the TM club set, spin or no spin.

The other thing that people have discussed (and I found to be true) was filling gaps with the TM set. Since the PW starts at 122, you basically get an extra club by using the Ping set - and you can use that club for either a 3WD, hybrid, or even an extra wedge (at a place like St. Andrews).

GL

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Thu, Mar 4 2010 5:49 AM

There is no debate.

Pings are easily the better irons for the ability to stick long approach shots (particularly long par 3's).

I'd say that the TM irons, or at least the tour preferred, is vastly over priced considering their performance.   The tour starter irons are almost as good as the TM tour preferred master iron set, IMO (I haven't tried the new TM irons yet).

• HoleItSucker
    53 Posts
    Thu, Mar 4 2010 5:50 AM
    Thanks for the insight, Yankee Jim. I get what you are saying about negotiating the wind...I'm guessing the Pings respond to wind like the Satin wedges do...but truth be told, if negotiating wind is the price I pay for having assasin-like accuracy with my irons, I willing pay that price.
  • Noobiedork
    12 Posts
    Thu, Mar 4 2010 12:23 PM

Ive been waiting on which set to get...  Tho Im getting the Pro's not the Masters...  Ive decieded to get the g10's instead of the tm,s because of the loft, and the ability to have the swing speed closer to the master set.... 

That and everyone has told me too. ;)

Im guessing the harder it is now the better it will be in the long run....

Cyas Noob

RSS