Forums

Help › Forums

Re: PUTTING

rated by 0 users
Sat, Feb 6 2010 1:10 PM (6 replies)
  • BIGJEREMYA
    54 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 6:11 AM
    I have read putting threads, watched videos, I understand distance control, dot speed, and grid coloration BUT I just cant get consistant with the old flat stick. Ive tried all the aiming methods including yankee jims intentional missing of the ding mark (which works best for me as well YJ), BUT I CANT GET SOLD ON ANYTHING because of consistancy! Any tips will be greatly appreciated!
  • Rhett78
    65 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 9:26 AM

I never move the aim line. I control the break of the putt by stopping the meter so far left or right of the perfect mark. I only ding a putt if it's straight. Takes some getting used to and might sound crazy, but once you're used to it, trust me it works. Master 58.72 average. Hope this helps.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 9:57 AM

BJ-The club precision has a lot to do with it. Rhett is obviously very comfortable with it because he's kicking hiney. With the same putter you're having fits trying to be consistent and that's where the precision comes in. Your Spider is big on forgiving, which is why Rhett is being successful, but low on the precision scale. Both Ping putters are the reverse. Not so forgiving but twice as much precision. I would suggest to you that you give a serious go at either Ping putter and master the ding with it. This isn't as imposing as it sounds because the newer putter has a slower meter if you're into that. I use the Redwood with a faster meter but my backswing is rarely more than an inch long-very very easy to hit the mark.

The margin of error with the more precise putters is much smaller with the Pings. You might have too much forgiveness now. Force yourself in another putting direction and see what happens. GL

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 10:50 AM

The big difference for me was a better putter BUT also the balls.

Why the balls?  Because dinging the meter was my biggest challenge, when I do I sink say 75% of the putts, when I miss the ding maybe 15% of putts.

What is helping me in a big way is a ball that slows down the meter and also using a longer putter on some putts (like 60 foot putter for a 12 foot putt) which means the meter has less travel distance and a little easier to ding the meter.

GL  and keep practicing!

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 11:20 AM

Jeremy,

You seem to do pretty well right now as evident by your stats and avg.   I'll spare you specific putting advice since you seem to have utilized some already.   

Think about you're leaves.  Where are they, not just in proximity to the hole but also in location?  Certain greens have dicey areas on certain sides of the hole that make for more difficult birdie putts.  For example, 13 at Kia.  Being long there sucks, even a couple yards.  Being short isn't such a bad proposition.  Therefore, don't aim right at the flagstick.  Aim a touch short, like a yard.   

Knowing where to avoid and hitting to the more favorable target areas should increase the variance of your approach shot pattern landing in an area that is more user friendly on your birdie attempts.

Trust me it works.  Master 62.98 mostly legit average ;)

Good luck man.

• BIGJEREMYA
    54 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 12:01 PM

Thanks for all of the replys. I'm gonna get a new stick and pay EVEN MORE attention to where to leave myself for the flattest putt. Any of you guys that would like to play sometimes freind me up and invite, I would love to play. Maybe I could learn a few things from you guys. Thanks Again!!!!!!!!!

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Sat, Feb 6 2010 1:10 PM

OaktheToke:

Jeremy,

You seem to do pretty well right now as evident by your stats and avg.   I'll spare you specific putting advice since you seem to have utilized some already.   

Think about you're leaves.  Where are they, not just in proximity to the hole but also in location?  Certain greens have dicey areas on certain sides of the hole that make for more difficult birdie putts.  For example, 13 at Kia.  Being long there sucks, even a couple yards.  Being short isn't such a bad proposition.  Therefore, don't aim right at the flagstick.  Aim a touch short, like a yard.   

Knowing where to avoid and hitting to the more favorable target areas should increase the variance of your approach shot pattern landing in an area that is more user friendly on your birdie attempts.

Trust me it works.  Master 62.98 mostly legit average ;)

Good luck man.

It's taken me a while to figure out where to miss on approach shots. I was stuck in the 74-76 range for months on Kiawah and now am in the 70-72 range. Knowing where to be for the putt is as important as setting up for the next shot in pool.

I now am also managing my drives to give me the best distance for my approach shots as well. When I play with someone that tries to slam every shot for maximum distance I know I'm going to end up with a better score at the end of the round.

Next up is to upgrade some clubs and try to work on BPB.

RSS