Forums

Help › Forums

Re: I read the lie right yet the ball only moves maybe one foot

rated by 0 users
Mon, Feb 15 2010 5:05 AM (8 replies)
  • jenniferjohnson3
    7 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2010 9:12 PM

I'm not understanding!  I've been playing for the past three months and now all of a sudden this game is not workinking right,  I just tried to make a 17 yd. chip. I read my swing meter at about 75% at a max of 20yds up hill by 2ft. My ball only moved maybe 1ft.??????????

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Wed, Jan 27 2010 9:31 PM
    Jen .. 17 yards from the pin was almost definitely in the rough, and chipping is nearly impossible from the rough, especially if it's a 40-50% lie. I very rarely try to chipunless the ball is right at the edge of the green, pitching or even a knocked down punch shot is my usual play. Too late to help now, but it's something you might file away for the future. Jeff
  • AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Thu, Jan 28 2010 8:34 AM

Jeffdos is right. If the ball is more than a foot into the rough a chip almost never gets onto the putting surface. I sometimes pitch, but mostly use a full LW and try to land it a little short and let it run to the hole.

I plan to play some practice rounds and work on punch and flop shots too.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Jan 28 2010 8:42 AM

Flop shots work OK in that situation, too. You've just got to pay attention to how many % of rough that is, so that the flop shot is strong enough (must, of course, always be stronger than the stated yardage to hole, and you've got to aim left of the flag for every flop shot).

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 28 2010 8:54 AM

AlaCowboy:
    If the ball is more than a foot into the rough a chip almost never gets onto the putting surface.

This is not true. I regularly chip from rough around the green up to and including those 40/50 lies. There are 2 basic rules-never ever try to pitch less than 75% and the first bounce must be on the green.  I like using chips because in the reverse view you can aim it like a putt. Using top spin and backspin lets you alter the landing and roll out. 

If you think in terms of the real game you know you can't baby your shot out of the rough and it works that way here too. That is the intent, after all-simulate real.

*edit*  Thanks to jayjonbeach I made an error in the above-I did not intend to use the word pitch-it should have been chip.

• pricehcs
    288 Posts
    Sat, Jan 30 2010 2:46 PM
    ^ this. I confess I am a preferred pitcher vs. chipper, but YJ nailed the golden rules for successful chipping.
  • jasonmgomez
    4 Posts
    Mon, Feb 15 2010 2:34 AM

sorry for the noob question but ....

HOW do i switch from a chip (which seems to be the default shot selected in the rough around the green) to a pitch, flop or punch shot.  I cannot seem to find the option to do this.

any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

jason.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Feb 15 2010 4:32 AM

Jason, click where it says Chip (or full, pitch, putt...).

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Feb 15 2010 5:05 AM

And just to the right of what Andyson just pointed out is the putting scale that you can change by using the up and down arrows. You don't have to use the default scale for the putter.

*edit*  Just saw this from Snaike-great pic.

http://wgt.com/forums/t/8744.aspx?PageIndex=2

RSS