Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Question regarding approach shot on BPB #10

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jan 13 2010 9:47 AM (8 replies)
  • AddieLexiDaddy
    10 Posts
    Wed, Jan 13 2010 6:12 AM
    Ok.....I'm in the middle of the fairway; 184 yards to the pin. The pin is 4 feet above my lie and i'm hitting into a 2 mph wind. I hit my 180 club at 100% power in the middle of the ball (no top or back spin) and hit it flush. Ball travels 163 yds and ends up in the rough in front of the green. Can anyone explain this? It seems crazy to me that a 2 mph wind and a 4 foot slope is going to take 17 yards off of a well hit shot. Really strange. Any help or insight would be awesome; thanks guys.
  • cobra4
    359 Posts
    Wed, Jan 13 2010 6:55 AM

There are a lot off people complaining about the same issues as you are expieriencing. Its not you, it's WGT's inability to sort the bugs out in our clubs.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 13 2010 6:59 AM

Addie-While it sounds like this could be a deviation, beast, glitch or whatever I found myself doing something that could have happened to you. Sometimes, when I take the backswing and stop on the full power mark as I take my finger off the mouse button sometimes the power bar moves with it, off full power. Maybe just a tiny bit but enough to make the shot come up short from what I expected. It happens because after setting the power I move the swing icon down to the perfect mark while the meter is racing towards it and sometimes do it too quickly. My bad.

Try to duplicate the shot or if and when it happens again right click before the next shot and explain it to WGT. Hope this helps. GL

YJ

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Wed, Jan 13 2010 7:20 AM

This doesn't seem like a bug or deviation to me. 

If i hit that 180 club with 183 to go on that particular hole with no BS - I would expect to come up well short of the green every time. 

It's just the way this hole plays. 

This does not necessarily mean that the physics are wrong with that hole. Maybe it is, doesn't matter. Just consider this to be "local knowledge".

Club up, Put a bunch of BS on the ball to get it UP in the air, miss your 20 footer for birdie, tap in for par, move on....

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 13 2010 7:28 AM

Good answer, bird. I forgot about that hole playing long. Addie-look at the hole and notice the patch between the end of the fairway and the green-all rough-a mini valley. The shot lands there and stops, no roll after landing which would have given you the yardage you expected. Take bird's advice. In fact, BPB plays long so you might apply this to the other holes. GL

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Jan 13 2010 9:05 AM

YJ, that's absurd, the hole does not play long (meaning to me the yardage is off or something else causes you to club up), the yardage is perfect.  Birdwell is absolutely correct, Addies 180 club is the Rapture Pro 5I and will only carry 168yds (with GI-D balls or similar) with no wind.  I have the same clubs as Addie does.  Addie uses the starter ball so his carry will be even less.  He'd likely have to hit his 3 iron to carry that rough from 184, and plan on a long putt or chip coming back to the hole.

As this replay shows, I barely carried the rough on #10 with a full Rapture Pro 4 iron from 183 into a 3mph headwind using a Tour GI-S ball (with one dot distance and 2 dots more spin).

Hitting a mid to long iron into the green means you need to plan for the roll out.

BPB is long, it doesn't "play" long. LOL

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Wed, Jan 13 2010 9:23 AM

This sounds like the standard experience that every one of us has had 40 or 50 (or a hundred) times before finally determining the hole plays longer than measured yardage (a variety of factors).

I am not jumping on the "there is a bug with the clubs" bandwagon on this one.

I would almost expect a duplicate complaint about the approach on 11, based on this description.

LEARNING TO TRUST COUNTER-INTUITION IN KEY PLACES WILL BE AMONGST THE IMPORTANT KEYS OF IMPROVING YOUR GAME!

Regards, AtlantaCoaster

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 13 2010 9:37 AM

andyson:
    YJ, that's absurd,

If you're trying to be funny you missed. 

Do you play golf? If you do then you know what the expression "play long" means. If you don't then let me explain it. Playing long refers to the strategy you use to overcome a hole. You can't drop a wedge on top of that hole because it plays long-you have to reach it with a long iron.

andyson:
    Hitting a mid to long iron into the green means you need to plan for the roll out.

Well, duh-this is playing a hole long.

andyson:
    Addies 180 club is the Rapture Pro 5I and will only carry 168yds

Did you think he expected it to plop down at 180 yds? 168 yard carry with 12 foot roll after landing is more like it. However, like I pointed out above, it's landing in rough where that roll aint happening.

BPB definitely plays long on many of the holes.

• AddieLexiDaddy
    10 Posts
    Wed, Jan 13 2010 9:47 AM
    Thanks for all of your responses, guys. The large amount of green I had for roll was the reason I didn't club up. I asked the question because I've played BPB a number of times and did not remember this being one of the holes that played long; and with that amount of green and the other conditions noted at the time of the shot, it just seemed a lot shorter than I expected. The shot ended up going 163 yards. I appreciate all of your input and insight and have learned a lot just in reading the responses which I plan to use going forward. Thanks again.
RSS