Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Earnings good for WGT only, not cashable or refundable

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:03 AM (9 replies)
  • jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Tue, Jan 5 2010 10:45 PM

Just want to make sure I have this right, only been here a little over a week.

You spend money to buy clubs (about 35 bucks to get the good stuff)

You spend money to enter touney's (not counting free ones with low payouts)

Anything you win wont be that useful once you have the best clubs.

You wont win anything until you have the best clubs (more or less)

I know it is probably not quite this cut and dry but this is mostly what somebody can expect if I have been seeing things correctly (forum posts, past tourney results) 

So once you hit Master and have the good clubs to compete, what the hell do you do with anything you win? Buy balls and enter more tourney's I would think? Can't even gift anyone anything useful which is a shame too?  It seems the cash flow is totally a one way street and players cant really do anything with prize money except re-spend it, good business plan I guess! LOL  I suppose very few people have enough that they could cash out anyway....

Of course the other option is to just stick around, play free tourney's and not buy any clubs.   Personally I am thinking of biting the bullet (well half of it anyway) as I like the game a good bit but I would sure like to see some of the many suggestions that have been made start to get implemented sooner rather than later.   More courses would be great for stroke play, they are available in CTTH so the graphics/hd pictures are largely there already, even if they make those that are there available for 9 hole stroke play only, better than not at all and only CTTH. 

TIA - I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything here

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 4:28 AM

There are tournaments with actual prizes.   Golf trips, golf clubs, gps systems, gift cards, etc..

And yes, WGT credits cannot be cashed out as cash.   But then again, you're not paying $50 up front (like most golf video games) and there is a small chance that you could win an actual prize.

I'm not saying you'll ever win any prizes here.   And the vast majority of people won't.   But the possibility does exist.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 5:04 AM

The way that I chose to look at it is this. If you don't want to pay anything you don't have to.

I believe that the money that I have spent here has more than been given back to me in the form of hours spent enjoying this game. 

Even if you could cash out, it would be beneficial for  very few players. (Do you really need to cash out that $3.00 you won in a ready to go)

If you think sandbagging is bad now it would be exponentially worse if you could cash out.

Happy hitting

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 7:00 AM

You said you have been here for a week.  As a general rule the site will need you to have a longer attention span.  I played WGT from January through May 2009 before I ever spent any money - and even when I did it was a minimal outlay of 7 bucks for a new Driver.  In other words WGT "cost" me $1.40 a month for the first 5 months I belonged.  A bargain.  (My overall cash purchases with WGT remain minimal to this day).

SUGGESTION:  Continue to play the game for a while with the free stuff and hone and perfect your game as far as you can take it with those.  THEN...slowly dip a toe into spending the $$ at that point.  There's no hurry to rush through the tiers - it took me 11 months.  Each to his own, though.  

At the end of the day you STILL have to be able to hit the shots - and new gear does not immediately fix that.  In fact it could even lead to MORE frustration because there IS a period of adjustment to new clubs as well while you learn how they work!  It would be bad to adopt the idea that "I spent the money and my average got worse!"  At first it often will with new clubs because you will adjust to new yardages, meter speeds and the like - and it is COMMON that immediately after a change in clubs you will find all kinds of sandtraps and rough that you never knew existed!  THEN over some time all of that adjusts as you play and practice.

As a WGT Member/Player, the VALUE I take from WGT is my ENJOYMENT and entertainment in working on my game and playing my golf.

With that VALUE I have found some benefit to occasionally spending some money with WGT and it is well earned.  I played this game for MONTHS without ever spending a penny.  Over the course of the YEAR I have been here, the cash involved has been minimal but the entertainment has far exceeded what I have spent.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion - and that is mine.

I would venture to say that most "hardcore gamers" will not be attracted to this site because they can't win it immediately over and over.  I would venture to say there are more GOLFERS here than there are gamers.

I fail to understand the allergy that some users exhibit to the notion that WGT might make some money in the process.  Why is that horrible?  I do not have a problem with it they have entertained me (off and on) for a year at a minimal expense - and I find it to be a good value - as with any other consumer product.  (Oh yeah it's a Beta Test.  This is irrelevant to my point - Beta Test or not I enjoy it).

Thanks, AtlantaCoaster

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 7:17 AM

That's true AC.

If I had to pay what I thought it was worth I'd have to get a bail out from Obama.

• TheFlyWhiteGuy
    21 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 7:57 AM

Jay,

You've almost got it. You won't win anything even with the best clubs. There are tons of kids here that do nothing but play this game and have the best cheats on the market. You can't compete with that.

Look at the leaderboards my friend. Hacks shooting 29. What's that tell ya?

• TheFlyWhiteGuy
    21 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 8:04 AM

AtlantaCoaster:

I fail to understand the allergy that some users exhibit to the notion that WGT might make some money in the process.  Why is that horrible?  I do not have a problem with it they have entertained me (off and on) for a year at a minimal expense - and I find it to be a good value - as with any other consumer product.  (Oh yeah it's a Beta Test.  This is irrelevant to my point - Beta Test or not I enjoy it).

Thanks, AtlantaCoaster

AtlantaCoaster, are you saying you would pay any amount for a very flawed product simply for enjoyment?

As a consumer, you expect that a product is in good working condition or at least I hope you do.  Your point is stating that playing basketball with a new ball that doesn't hold hair  is good enough to provide some enjoyment simply because it holds enough air to shoot the basket and because the ball doesn't bounce is irrelevant?

I believe what you fail to understand isn't an allergy but old fashioned common sense. Buy a ball that hold's air and get what you paid for instead of paying for what you get.

• Spacklero
    386 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 8:55 AM

AtlantaCoaster:
    I would venture to say that most "hardcore gamers" will not be attracted to this site because they can't win it immediately over and over.  I would venture to say there are more GOLFERS here than there are gamers.

I agree with everything you say AC except this. Im a gamer and tho not hardcore now have been in the past. This game for me is simply the best sports sim and online community ive ever been a part of and the game itself has a playability and learning curve that Ive never seen before. Theres so much to get your gaming teeth into here that it almost plays like a strategy game at times.

Ive spent 100 times what ive spent here so far on games ive only played once and then got bored with. Paying a few bucks to support this is an easy choice for me.

As far as the beta thing goes I actually like that its in beta and hope in stays that way. Ive never played a good game that wasnt regularly patched and tweaked to iron out bugs that shouldnt be there (every EA game ive ever bought comes to mind) and this is after final release. At least here you get to be part of a community thats making suggestions on how to improve it and being listened to. Sounds good to me.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 10:48 AM

Okay thanks guys some very good answers, like I said I just wanted to make sure I had things straight.

I guess where things are a little misleading is the whole, "compete to win money aspect".   With not being able to cash out and very low payouts overall, your really not going to win anything tangible (although you "could" win a sweepstakes prize) and even if you did you would just have to respend it.  I am not saying WGT is misleading anyone, its just in the concept itself and compared to maybe a poker site this is a different mentality is all.  

Yes then there is the aspect that possibly others are cheating and even if not, you'll have some hardcore players who play all the time that will be very hard to beat.  Up the stakes, yeah it will get even worse I'm sure.  I also feel behind the 8 ball somewhat joining now as many many people are already on top of the game after a year or 1.5 (although with no real money up for grabs this really matters a lot less)  I do wonder how WGT will handle growth as well, more and more people joining hopefully they will keep adding more and more tourney' to keep up with it and make sure people can always kind of be competitive.  They probably should make a few more tiers and keep some tourneys tier orientated so the absolute Masters compete with themselves mostly, amateurs compete with amateurs, that would make winning more feasible, even if winning just means winning, that is still something especially for competitive players.  

I think what is maybe a little disappointing for me personally is the drive to constantly improve and compete might get cut off somewhat.  I'm pretty competitive and play a lot of games and sports and I think down the road this game will hopefully hold my interest thereby justifying spending some money.  (AC - have no problem with companies making money especially where good efforts have been excercised, hence my suggestion about suggestions to improve being implemented. Also have NP spending money for enjoyment purposes, just want to know fully what I am getting in return [expectations])

The thing is once you buy some clubs, hit the Master level and then top up your equipment to the top notch stuff, your progression tapers off rapidly.  Of course there is always room for improvement in your game, one of the beautities of Golf for sure, but within this WGT game itself, you are sort of "topped out" so to speak (although that doesnt mean your enjoyment will stop, it might for some and it wont bother others, just an observation really).   Maybe the progression happens too fast (Pro and Master in a week for some) and there are few to tiers as well.   The competing for money aspect could really add here getting and keeping your competitive juices flowing even after a long period of time, you would always be interested in playing in another tourney. 

Anyway now I'm rambling.  Maybe I'll play free for a while longer to make sure I don't get bored too fast  (I do bore easily I fully admit this). 

Happy hitting out there and see you on the courses

J

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:03 AM

TheFlyWhiteGuy:

Jay,

You've almost got it. You won't win anything even with the best clubs. There are tons of kids here that do nothing but play this game and have the best cheats on the market. You can't compete with that.

Look at the leaderboards my friend. Hacks shooting 29. What's that tell ya?

I've won plenty of credits, and I don't even have the "best clubs" unless you consider my tour starter iron and wedges to be the "best clubs".

I'm also not a "kid", don't use cheats and can and have been competitive in the RG tournaments.   That fancy redwood putter in my bag?    Bought with credits won in the RG tournaments.

I've also won a premium tournament where I got a $100 Amazon gift certificate, so prizes can be had.

But I do agree with you on one point.   Hack tier players shouldn't be shooting 29's.

RSS