Help › Forums

Re: Current "NON-beta" Flash Player Revisions

Thu, Jun 24 2010 11:34 AM (23 replies)
  • AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 7:33 AM

WGTniv:

TheAceFactor:
    Umm, nevermind...lol    Shadow fixed it for me...Thank You Shadow...it's running like lightening.      

Just curious.  What did you do?  Upgrade your video card drivers?

Um, pardon this computer illiterate asking a stupid question, but how do I update my video card drivers? Can I do this? Do I have to buy something to install?

(that's a single question in 3 parts)

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Wed, Jun 23 2010 7:56 AM

YankeeJim:

Go back to version 10 or update your video drivers.

http://wgt.com/forums/p/14625/89881.aspx#89881

... then... give it a chance to "stabilize". After I rolled-back to 10.0 and updated my drivers, I STILL was experiencing screen jitter, etc... but after a bunch of practice rounds, a multi-play or two on a coupla courses, and a couple Q-trys... everything seemed to "calm down" a bit.

I think I was clearing my flash cache TOO often - with all the updating and tweaking I was trying, which MAY have lead to my computer's exacerbated graphics problems.

Not too scientific... and take it for what you believe it's worth... but it's MHO that after I had sufficiently cached enough of the game, it seems my system began to "concentrate it's efforts" more on the physics of the game, and less on making sure that the game's necessary elements were ready and available.

Makes sense to me, and I hope this period of less frustrating gameplay continues for awhile. I doubt anyone at WGT can "publicly" concur with this finding, because then they'd be faced with answering the question: "How many rounds must we be expected to play - after clearing our flash cache - before noticing 'stability' in the physics of the game". In my limited understanding of what the nature of a "beta" app is, there assuredly will be future updates, after which we'll be expected to "start anew" by clearing our caches... an expected, inevitable, and necessary procedure that has been patience-trying for me.

Soooo... if I experience similar problems after the next cache-clearing update is introduced, I'll "reload" it, which will hopefully incorporate the updated elements that are necessary to play a smoother game, by patiently "exploring" the courses until these files are "found" and d/l'd into my cache. 

Of course, this is just my take on how this all is working, and it's accuracy could be way-off... but hey... I've not found a better explanation in the forums, and sure, this is only my own conjecture... but perhaps another one could be pointed-out to us... as I, for one, am always open to others' opinions or findings of fact.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 8:04 AM

AlaCowboy:

... how do I update my video card drivers? Can I do this? Do I have to buy something to install? ...

Hi AlaCowboy.

In lieu of others more qualified to answer, but mainly to "bump" this thread for you...

--- I first identified my video card (ATI Radeon HD 3600 series) in System Information > System Summary > Components > Display, then went to the vendor site (ATI in my case), and searched there for the newest compatible version drivers.

*Side Note: I got my system through Dell and initially went there, but found that the driver versions they offered were "old", compared to the version offered at ATI (the vendor of my display adapter). 

--- You, and everyone, for that matter, most certainly can do this, as it's just a matter of downloading a file (or group of files), extracting those files [if "zipped" (compressed)], and then starting the install procedure (usually by simply double-clicking an extracted .exe file). The install may take awhile, but it's quite painless, as it walks you through the procedure.

**Side Note 2: Be aware that some "zipped files" contain a "package" of files. These usually are apps that the vendor has bundled with the needed driver files that you've d/l'd. I always choose "Custom Installation" when I'm given the opportunity, and only install (by "ticking or unticking" buttons) the files/apps that I feel are necessary and vital to my specific upgrade, at the time.

--- I've never come across drivers that must be purchased, although I wouldn't put it past some d/l sites to ask a fee for an otherwise free d/l, or the existance of "special" drivers that may be purchased. I doubt that a "vendor d/l site" would expect a fee, and would question it if I encountered one.

I may have missed some finer points, and hope other more knowledgeable members might expand mine a bit... but I think I've at least given you some idea of how to go about obtaining/installing your needed upgrades. Nuthin' to it!

Good Luck,

PugsAce

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Thu, Jun 24 2010 11:34 AM

Flash:

Another aspect of the new flash is the browser in which it is used on.  It maybe of note to the developers and users to determine where the problem lies.  Here is a quick summary of my system.

• direct-x up to date;  June 10th 2010
    • Virtual memory fixed to 300 MB
    • Physical Ram 2 Gigabytes
    • Video Display;   Gforce 8500gt with 512 MB ram
    • adobe flash; new release
    • browser;  New release Firefox 3.6.4
    • Video display drivers up to date
    • browser cache set at 500 MB
    • CPU;  Intel dual core 3.0 gHz
    • motherboard chipset drivers newest release (very important)

Note, I do not use gamebooster;

For the most part I find the meter consistent, and when I run into a problem I take several practice swings.

RSS