Help › Forums

Re: Help with new wedge decision.

rated by 0 users
Sun, Dec 27 2009 7:23 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Dec 27 2009 12:53 PM

LOL-Too funny, the irony. I hesitate to recommend a particular club because I can only speak for the Taylors I've used since I upgraded. I used the Tour Burners until I made master. I use the Tour Preferred now. I'm in for the accuracy, which the Taylors have, but the trade off is meter speed. The Taylors come with a fast meter which I personally like. There are balls that will slow it down but I find the slow meter doesn't work with fast players-you get impatient and jump the trigger. 

There is a fabulous reference you can find by searching "Club Comparison". It lets you see all the clubs' stats at once and you can compare. My advice is to disregard the meter speed-you'll adapt- and go for the precision. JMO-GL

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sun, Dec 27 2009 1:01 PM

I can't say much about the other wedges everyone speaks of, but I'm using the "Z" wedges because of their great spin. I took the spin factor into account when buying these wedges. At the time, they where the best for spin to me. WGT has introduced the satin wedges since then.

It would be nice to try all the clubs in some capacity that WGT offers. Maybe one day.

Play well Jd4u.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Dec 27 2009 2:01 PM

Richard-The Z wedge is the Satin wedge. What was added were better Satin's with a broader ydg range.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Sun, Dec 27 2009 3:24 PM

Here my set...no hybrid.

Ping g 10's...so my pw  goes 115

ping master 54  wedge  goes 105

taylor satin master 60   goes 90

ping 64 goes 60

This gives me an excellent spread especially when using the punch and pitch yardages.

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Sun, Dec 27 2009 7:23 PM

I've had almost every wedge in my bag at some point, enough to form an opinion about the different types.

The different characteristics of the brands go beyond the dots in the pro shop.

The satins do have a little more spin than the pings - but (And this is a really big but!) the pings have a higher loft. You will be able to control chip and pitch shots a little better with the satins because of that little extra spin. However Punch and Flop shots are easier to stop with the PINGS. (you'll see me carry at least one of each)

You can actually spin a ball backwards Using a Punch shot with the master PING wedges. And you will land your Flop shots a little softer.

The Snake eyes spin a little better than advertised, I like them a lot. I will often bring them along, especially on standard or slow greens, where you don't have to worry about a flop rolling  10 yards on a flat green.

• PAGES
RSS