Help › Forums

Re: Psyched Out

rated by 0 users
Fri, Mar 29 2024 2:54 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Slimjim001
    1,025 Posts
    Wed, Mar 27 2024 8:43 AM

Playing this game has taught me something about myself. When I play single player games and tournaments where I am not under the clock and no one is watching, I do much better than when those two things are in the mix. I would like to hear from some of you who have had similar issues but who have overcome them. Am I the only one who gets psyched out by clocks and eyeballs?

• callaghan159
    6,222 Posts
    Wed, Mar 27 2024 10:47 AM

I suck every way possible.😣

• BlackBogey
    276 Posts
    Wed, Mar 27 2024 2:37 PM

If you have a routine that lasts longer than 45 seconds (usually the minimum shot clock) you need to start looking at ways to make your process more efficient.  You can basically get all the info you need (except elevation) if you just watch where your ball comes to rest - you'll have raw yardage, wind speed and general wind direction.  So from all that you can start picking a club and shot type while your opponent is hitting, then all that's left is fine tuning aim and any +/- for elevation once you are back on the clock.  If you are on the green it maybe more difficult to cycle through all the different views to find the one you want.  That's where "feel" and experience come in and sometimes you just have to take best guess and let it rip.

For others watching, I don't have a ton of experience myself, but I just try to keep the chatter to a minimum and go through my normal routine.  Generally an event that is being streamed will have a longer shot clock, so there is plenty of time for the "nice shot", "great birdie", "wtf happened there?" comments in between shots.  You play enough and you'll realize even the best players can hit some squirrely shots from time to time, so don't get nervous or embarrassed about your game in front of others watching.  Also, if it's being streamed for A LOT of people, I generally keep my earpiece and microphone muted as much as much as possible, and don't bother reading the chat boxes until I'm comfortable.  

• Slimjim001
    1,025 Posts
    Wed, Mar 27 2024 3:23 PM

Thank you. I appreciate the advice.

• BOZskills
    392 Posts
    Thu, Mar 28 2024 1:40 PM

BB,ty for posting this routine. Ive thought about doing it many times. My wish is that every slow player in wgt land read this. Last week i played 2 opp in the coin rooms(montreal) that took the timer down to 00 multiple times and only timed out once(i understand lag). The point is every shot was taken down to below ten seconds even tap ins. Slow play in the coin rooms is at epidemic levels. I can understand taken alot of time on difficult putts and sometimes we cant get great views on drives etc. But every shot is ridiculous. Thx again BB.

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Fri, Mar 29 2024 2:54 PM

Slimjim001:
    Am I the only one who gets psyched out by clocks and eyeballs?

No, it's called performance anxiety and it's probably affecting or has affected other aspects of your life as well.

https://www.calm.com/blog/performance-anxiety

• BlackBogey
    276 Posts
    Fri, Mar 29 2024 6:47 PM

BOZskills:

BB,ty for posting this routine. Ive thought about doing it many times. My wish is that every slow player in wgt land read this. Last week i played 2 opp in the coin rooms(montreal) that took the timer down to 00 multiple times and only timed out once(i understand lag). The point is every shot was taken down to below ten seconds even tap ins. Slow play in the coin rooms is at epidemic levels. I can understand taken alot of time on difficult putts and sometimes we cant get great views on drives etc. But every shot is ridiculous. Thx again BB.

Nothing you can really do about opponent deliberately slow playing.  It upsets me for a few seconds, then I realize they are within the rules, so I just try to shrug it off.  If they are taking the full timer to hit a 1.5' tap-in, I just take it as a sign that they are trying to play head games because they probably don't stand much chance of winning unless they can psyche me into quitting. 

Same as in real golf, or life for that matter, you can only control what you are in control of.  If you try to control what others do or let it upset you, then you are not focusing on what matters, which is taking care of your own business.

• GreenLaser
    176 Posts
    Fri, Mar 29 2024 9:44 PM

Some of the slow players could be people with disabilities.  That may be as fast as they can play.

• reggie7900
    912 Posts
    Sat, Mar 30 2024 4:39 AM

Just beat them show them that they don't gain nothing 

• BlackBogey
    276 Posts
    Sat, Mar 30 2024 8:00 AM

GreenLaser:

Some of the slow players could be people with disabilities.  That may be as fast as they can play.

Excellent point I hadn't considered.

For most of these slow-play "experts" it's pretty obvious that isn't the case though, when they the play the first hole or so normally but then go to the stall tactics when they fall behind and it becomes obvious they aren't likely to win the match.  Nothing worse than getting to the 3rd hole 3 up and then they start maxing the the shot clock, then playing ping pong back and forth across the green - especially when you have an apparel sponsor active.

• PAGES
RSS