Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Callaway Paradym 3 Wood? 240 Yards?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jan 27 2024 7:52 PM (9 replies)
  • LARRYDAVID101
    8 Posts
    Tue, Jan 23 2024 6:23 PM

Game offered to rent me a Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3 Wood.  While playing in a match, got to a tie breaker.  Opponent landed on the green no problem, when I drove from the fairway - the shot which should have been around 140 yards - drizzled down the fairway like I hit it with my foot - maybe around 40 yards.  Second time - fairway drive - should have been close to 200 yards - ball dribbled down the fairway less than 50 yards.  Is there something about this club - or the game that is happening right now?  Just curious.

• bwsq
    98 Posts
    Wed, Jan 24 2024 10:41 AM

Curious as to why you would hit a 3 wood from 140 yards out.

• BlackBogey
    276 Posts
    Wed, Jan 24 2024 12:32 PM

So are you saying your rented L73 hit one from the fairway 40yds and another 50yds, or you came up 40/50yds short of where you expected it to?  Or where these hit from the tee into the fairway?  Your use of "drove from the fairway" and "fairway drive" are confusing.

If you were in the fairway hitting an approach to the green, which is what I THINK you are describing, you should expect it to go approx. +/- 230 to 250 yds (dependent on wind/elevation/apparel/how far off the Ding you hit/what lie you have/what ball you are playing/how much spin you used/etc...). 

If 2 shots went 40 and 50yds total (either off the tee or fairway), you either A) hit the scroll wheel on your PC (or fat-fingered club selection on your tablet/phone) and accidentally selected a wedge, or B) something is wrong with the rental and you should contact CS.

If 2 shots went 40 and 50yds shorter than you expected, you either A) hit the scroll wheel on your PC (or fat-fingered club selection on your tablet/phone) and accidentally selected a different club, or B) your calculations for wind/elevation/spin are WAY off, or C) something is wrong with the rental and you should contact CS.

One last comment, whenever I rent clubs the first thing I do is take them to the "Driving Range" (Kiawah #1 or BPB #10 in low winds) and benchmark them against my current clubs.  If they are markedly better in ANY category of distance, accuracy, forgiveness, or meter speed, I usually buy them.  If they are not, then I don't.

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Wed, Jan 24 2024 1:00 PM

He said drove from the fairway, Unless you hit a punch with the driver off of the fairway you sill get just what he described,

• LARRYDAVID101
    8 Posts
    Wed, Jan 24 2024 9:37 PM

Both shots were from the fairway to the green.  Don't believe there was any error or club selection issues - unless the machine caused them.  Never had that exact scenario happen here before, or especially on a real course - but that's another can of worms.  Never heard that you could "test" clubs (or anything else) without purchasing them.  Any helpful hints are always appreciated.

• Squatch031
    172 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2024 10:51 AM

Not sure I understand what you are saying.....

"Game offered to rent me a Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3 Wood.  While playing in a match, got to a tie breaker.  Opponent landed on the green no problem, when I drove from the fairway - the shot which should have been around 140 yards - drizzled down the fairway like I hit it with my foot - maybe around 40 yards.  Second time - fairway drive - should have been close to 200 yards - ball dribbled down the fairway less than 50 yards.  Is there something about this club - or the game that is happening right now?  Just curious."

Never seen a tie breaker that requires a driver or even a three wood. Usually a long iron, wedge, or a putter.

How did you get a "second time" on a tiebreaker?

I think the problem lies in you explanation and/or execution of the shot.

• BlackBogey
    276 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2024 12:50 PM

LARRYDAVID101:

Both shots were from the fairway to the green.  Don't believe there was any error or club selection issues - unless the machine caused them.  Never had that exact scenario happen here before, or especially on a real course - but that's another can of worms.  Never heard that you could "test" clubs (or anything else) without purchasing them.  Any helpful hints are always appreciated.

That's what "Renting" clubs is for, to "test" them and see if they are a marked improvement over what you currently have to justify purchasing (or in some instances, especially putters, to see which one you prefer) before laying out the full purchase price.  

Not sure why you were trying a +/- 240yd club for a 140yd shot, but the shot meter is not linear, meaning 50% of a 240yd club is not going to go 120yds if that's what you were trying?

• LARRYDAVID101
    8 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2024 2:00 PM

Aha!  Sorry, I am not always as clear as possible when recalling information.  May not have kept track of the exact yardage to post it here.  The club was actually selected by the WGT "Caddy" and was close to the actual yardage needed to the green (at least I assume so) which I did also adjust down the yardage slightly for the shots in question.  I realize that if you try to use the big driver on the fairway and not on a T - that it does exactly what I described.  Learned that one fairly quickly.  Appreciate the information - try to keep learning as I go.  

• BPeterson8256
    2,908 Posts
    Thu, Jan 25 2024 3:53 PM

BlackBogey:

Not sure why you were trying a +/- 240yd club for a 140yd shot

And even if that is what he was trying, there is not enough info to even try to see what might have happened. 

What was the wind?

Which direction? 

What hole and what course?

What was the elevation gain or loss?

How hard did you hit it? 

How much spin was on it?

Exactly what club was used? (saying "drive" is very misleading)

Did you hit the ding? Early? Late?

What were you attempting / expecting to happen?

This is the minimum info required to even try and figure out what the **** he is talking about. 😂

• EntropiaBones
    16 Posts
    Sat, Jan 27 2024 7:52 PM

I have found that hitting a 3 wood from a slope can cause this short yardage reaction.

RSS