Help › Forums

Re: Distance and Aiming

rated by 0 users
Sun, Dec 20 2009 12:44 PM (3 replies)
  • MikeyJay
    2 Posts
    Sun, Dec 20 2009 12:12 PM

Hi Guys,

Having a bit of difficulty working out how to aim properly... just with the distance though.

My question is this;

If I have a club which has a standard distance of 200yards for example, but I want to hit 185, what's the best way to do this. If I have the aiming marker aimed at 185 do I now make a full swing, or will that full swing send the ball the full 200, so I have to take a little bit off the swing to make it accurate? Does that make sense? Im pretty sure thats how it works with putting (having to take some power off the full putt) but cant really work it out with the full swing.

Thanks guys, sorry about the noobness!

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Sun, Dec 20 2009 12:30 PM

Your own the right path Mikey.Whatever the distance displayed beside the club is how far that club will go when lying in the fairway or tee box.Taking into account the wind and elevation changes.The blue box is only for aiming,it does not  affect distance.Like you said 200yd shot but only want to hit 185yds just lay off the club a little.I hope this helps

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Sun, Dec 20 2009 12:37 PM

Check out the Getting Started FAQs info over there-------------------------------->. 

That should get you started and answer a lot of your questions.  The rest is putting in some stick time to learning how this game works.  I started back in May and I seem to learn something new every day.  Lots of good guys in these forums will help you as well.

To answer your questions, aiming points are only a reference...the ball will usually go the distance for the club selected with full power assuming a full swing and ideal conditions.  Adjust for distance, wind, elevation etc.  OK, that should really confuse you now...what will help the most is to practice, practice, practice.       

Welcome aboard and be careful or you might get hooked on this thing.

Joey

• MikeyJay
    2 Posts
    Sun, Dec 20 2009 12:44 PM

Thanks guys great help! Makes much more sense now!!!

I think you're right Joey - it seems pretty addictive, but careful of your language - using the word "Hooked" in golf chat is bad karma!? You know I once played a club competition where they served lamb shank as the main meal. Un----believeable!!!

RSS