Forums

Help › Forums

Re: What I do not like about an otherwise great game

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 19 2023 3:57 AM (9 replies)
  • MisterT99
    13 Posts
    Tue, Aug 15 2023 6:44 PM

1) too few courses. It gets too repetitive.  Solution: increase the courses. At least a new course every 3-4 months. I am not asking for 1 new course every week and not even every month.

2) I do not want to play using an Excel spreadsheet all the times. But if you don't then it gets really hard to get the -10 -12 games. Solution... only give 25-30 seconds to shoot, so there is no time to count the dots. But do not allow the timeout if one ends his or her time alloted. Or else we are back to the same point

3) Balls paid for are way better than the standard one. Same goes for equipment. I do not like when there is a game and there is such a disparity of equipment. Those games feel fake. Solution. I do not know: WGT people make a living taking money from people. At least make all clubs available  to everyone who wants to buy them. It gets to the point that I face someone who is 120 and a tier below mine who has way better clubs than I do. I can buy them, just let me! 

Other that that, aside from chips, pitches that are a bit fuzzy.. I have no problems with the game. But I am starting to lose interest.  I got to Tour Master before reaching level 67, but now I need better clubs to score the -12 games I need to make it to Legend and I do not see it happening until I can get better clubs, in particular the big irons and the 3 Wood.

• CaptRon48
    185 Posts
    Wed, Aug 16 2023 11:25 AM

As far as new courses go -fat chance. Top Golf is in a cost cutting mode, it costs money for rights to model courses not to mention cost to model.

• GreenLaser
    178 Posts
    Wed, Aug 16 2023 11:14 PM

Dropping the hybrid and adding a 64° wedge might get you to Legend.  I think your clubs are good enough to get you there, but after you get there, you're probably going to need some upgrades.

• MioKontic
    4,599 Posts
    Thu, Aug 17 2023 4:59 AM

MisterT99:
    1) too few courses. It gets too repetitive.  Solution: increase the courses. At least a new course every 3-4 months. I am not asking for 1 new course every week and not even every month.

The difference between WGT and other golf games is that WGT uses HD photos for their courses, whereas other golf games use computer graphics.  I know which i'd rather play, but if you don't mind computer graphics then there are planty of other golf games you can choose from.  And just so you know, it's no easy or cheap task to get courses into WGT; back when WGT started they would take around 300,000 photos around the course, and of those they would use around 30,000.  That means someone needs to go through all the photos and decide which ones can/should be used.  They then had to do everything else that's required to get a new course into the game.  And seeing how bad some of the camera angles were, particularly on Kiawah, I suspect the 300,000 and 30,000 figures are probably even higher now.

With regards to repetitiveness, are you a member of a real golf club?  I think in the US more golfers aren't members and just pay to play, but around the rest of the world club membership is much more common.  That means you play the same 18 holes day-in-day-out.  Back when I started in 2010 we had Kiawah, St Andrews, Bethpage, and Oakmont as the list of full 18-hole courses, with a number of other CTTH courses.  If you go back a year before that they had even fewer!  Be thankful you have so many here to choose from now!

MisterT99:
    2) I do not want to play using an Excel spreadsheet all the times

Then don't!

MisterT99:
    But if you don't then it gets really hard to get the -10 -12 games.

No it doesn't.  I don't use spreadsheets, calculators, or any other aids except shotpal, putterpal, and the information stored in my head from years of play, and I can still score -10 or more on a fairly regular basis.

MisterT99:
    only give 25-30 seconds to shoot,

That I would agree with, far too many players take far too long to play a shot.  But I guess it's no different to pros taking 2+ minutes to play a shot (even though they are supposedly only allowed 40 seconds)!  I rarely, if ever, take more than 15-20 seconds to play a shot, and most drives I will hit within 7 seconds; I've sat and watched players take the full 45 seconds for a drive when playing showdowns, which is one of the reasons I don't play them any more.

MisterT99:
    3) Balls paid for are way better than the standard one. Same goes for equipment. I do not like when there is a game and there is such a disparity of equipment. Those games feel fake. Solution. I do not know: WGT people make a living taking money from people. At least make all clubs available  to everyone who wants to buy them. It gets to the point that I face someone who is 120 and a tier below mine who has way better clubs than I do. I can buy them, just let me! 

Back in the day when we only had cheap WGT balls and clubs that didn't hit very far, the game was much more realistic.  But to make money WGT need players to be buying things.  This meant bringing out better clubs and balls.  When they initially did that there were trade-offs; If you wanted a driver that hit further you sacrificed meter speed or forgiveness.  Then they brought out balls to slow down the meter.  Later, newer clubs hit further, had slower meter speeds, and better control, bringing scores down to ridiculous levels.

You don't need better clubs to score -12, you just need to learn to play the game.  One of the most common club sets used in the early days of WGT was the Ping Rapture set.  They had a slower meter than other clubs, so easier to hit the ding.  The driver only hit 255yds I think (or maybe it was even just 240yds?), but the best players were still able to score -12 or more.  At one time some clubs and balls were both level-specific and tier-specific (because lower tiers didn't need them!), but WGT selfishly realised that making clubs and balls level-specific only meant they could get more sales.  But what they did was ruin the game even more than it already was because players soon realised that they could start a new account, and by levelling up quickly but not tiering up they could have the best clubs playing from baby tees.  That has been one of the biggest failures of this game, and the fact that WGT don't do anything about it shows their extreme selfishness.  By allowing all players to buy any clubs would only increase the amount of multi-accounting and sandbagging to even greater levels than they are now.

• Yiannis1970
    3,270 Posts
    Thu, Aug 17 2023 9:32 AM

MioKontic:

The difference between WGT and other golf games is that WGT uses HD photos for their courses, whereas other golf games use computer graphics.

Just a small correction: WGT shoots the courses at HD (even 4-5-8K), it does not use HD pics for the game.

• MioKontic
    4,599 Posts
    Thu, Aug 17 2023 10:23 AM

Yiannis1970:
    Just a small correction: WGT shoots the courses at HD (even 4-5-8K), it does not use HD pics for the game.

Ok, my point was WGT uses photographs rather than computer graphics like all other games.

• Yiannis1970
    3,270 Posts
    Thu, Aug 17 2023 3:59 PM

True.

• jdstickit
    3 Posts
    Fri, Aug 18 2023 6:29 AM

Been playing this game for along time.  You don't need spreadsheets.  Just course knowledge.  It requires alot of playing time.  But always remember the winners are usually the ones who spend the most.  Hard to be competitive when you don't spend.  Or when there is no determined outcome.

• MisterT99
    13 Posts
    Sat, Aug 19 2023 3:57 AM

Yes, you are right, perhaps..  I need a bit of a longer driver for the very long par 5s or to have a realistic chance to get on greens in 2 on par 5s even when there is a headwind. But, then, yes, I need to be able to stop the balls sooner on greens or else I give myself tough putts and a 64 angle with its high trajectory and little horizontal traveling after landing might do the trick.

My problem is aggravated by the fact  that now I refuse to use Excel spreadsheets and counting dots. So I am back to playing 64 stroke games. It will  take a while (if I can at all) to return to my 61-62 shots. I am stopping the ball inches from the hole way too many times as things at present. It is frustrating. It makes for more realistic games though even if you never win anything.

Oh well... it is what it is...   At least I rediscovered an interest for Golf Games and I went to revisit my old favorite golf game, Links 2003... A group of fanatics is still making courses and improving previous ones. I counted nearly 500 courses. The latest ones were made using LIDAR techniques.  So I will alternate... and give that game also a chance. No equipment to buy, everyone has the same clubs, and one can choose the stimpmeter for the game up to US Master's level.. Just played Augusta with Stimp 13-14.. Man, it was tough like hell!

• Tabarnak777
    170 Posts
    Sat, Aug 19 2023 8:32 AM

There is room for improvement for sure. Your progression seems fine to me, the learning curve is far away to be done. Once you will reach the L85 irons i strongly suggest to map your distances and take notes on what happen on the courses. Full back spin shots are by far the best way to get the best grip on the game. Mapping wedges once you get the best ones is recommended too. That is necessary if you want to be the best as possible. But if you just want to click an hit the ball as fast as possible you won't be able to reach higher levels as fast or as high as many good players. One day maybe you will do both but it's a choice to make....and a lot of work!

Good luck.

RSS