Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Chipping and Pitching when on the Green

Wed, Dec 16 2009 2:16 PM (5 replies)
  • igiveup
    110 Posts
    Mon, Dec 14 2009 9:43 PM
    Is there any reason why I can't chip or pitch a ball while on the green...? I mean a ball that came to rest on the green... and not playing onto the green. Rather than an extremely difficult putt... I should be allowed to pitch or chip. For those that quote the rules of golf... its legal... lol... Have fun everyone.
  • birdwell
    561 Posts
    Mon, Dec 14 2009 11:05 PM

I guess you haven't tried switching your shot type to "CHIP" or "PITCH" while on the green....

so no, there is no reason why you can't.

caveat

WATCH YOUR FEET to YARDS conversions! Sometimes the meter gives you one when you want the other!!!

• igiveup
    110 Posts
    Tue, Dec 15 2009 11:17 AM
    I have changed the shot selection to chip or pitch... and when you hit thr ball it goes nowhere
  • hbthree
    478 Posts
    Wed, Dec 16 2009 11:30 AM

On the contrary, with lob and sand wedges and perhaps other clubs, don't know, one can certainly "chip" on the greens...my 7 yd rated lob wedge travels approximately 11 feet on a level surface and my 11 yd rated sandwedge travels 18 feet...HBthree

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Wed, Dec 16 2009 1:36 PM

Its legal just in real life its real bad etiquette.I cant remember the golfer but one of our Americans did that years ago on the Old Course during the British open on one of the double greens and they booed him all the way to the airport.But that don't matter on here.

Larry

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Dec 16 2009 2:16 PM

igiveup:
    I have changed the shot selection to chip or pitch... and when you hit thr ball it goes nowhere

As an aside, I experimentally tried flopping on the green and the same thing happened: the ball didn't budge. That's somehow not realistic. (Similarly to our inability to use the driver off fairways.)

RSS