Re: Need new putter to compete

rated by 0 users
Wed, Feb 9 2022 9:18 AM (23 replies)
  • ct690911
    7,202 Posts
    Wed, Feb 9 2022 8:28 AM

Mythanatos:

ct690911:
    I realized that the putter, as Robert suggested, is the one club where folks can play just as well with the starter as with the gold one.

Someone years ago tested the starter putter out. 

Conditions were 20 foot putt. 20 putts charted. same power same place and they only counted the putts that they hit the ding.

then they put all 20 balls on the same screen.

conclusion: the starter putter is very inconsistent. there was quite a variance in where the balls ended up.

that being said there is very little difference between most of the putters.

OK..thank you. I will admit my post was based on anecdotal evidence. I have played against folks using all manner of putters and some of the better players were still using the starter (and playing quite well). I have also played against folks using the "golden" putter and it didn't seem to help much.

I didn't know there was an actual test done...lol

cheers,

ct

• BPeterson8256
    2,909 Posts
    Wed, Feb 9 2022 8:56 AM

Mythanatos:

conclusion: the starter putter is very inconsistent. there was quite a variance in where the balls ended up.

that being said there is very little difference between most of the putters.

I am glad you pointed this out.

There is a reason some players that putt great use lower level putters, because they are often "off ding" putters that want less forgiveness.

That is the same reason a player that wants to hit the ding should want a putter that has more forgiveness.

The difference in putters may not be much, but there is some difference. I can't help but notice that many players advising that the putter doesn't matter and to just use a cheap one, are playing some of the highest level most expensive putters in the game. 

When does a difference make a difference? Always.

That said, learning to read putts is by far the most important part of putting, not the equipment.

• ct690911
    7,202 Posts
    Wed, Feb 9 2022 9:08 AM

My final thought on this as it may apply to other players. I'm not sure if I was an off ding putter or a ding putter. I just did my best to read the green (and I used several different putters over 13,000 games of alt shot) and I simply couldn't putt very well. I could get it close, but invariably it was luck if it dropped.

I think these are valid points made by Robert, Myth and Brett. But, for me, it was always an immense struggle, irrespective of the putter used.

ct

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, Feb 9 2022 9:18 AM

Mythanatos:

Someone years ago tested the starter putter out. 

Conditions were 20 foot putt. 20 putts charted. same power same place and they only counted the putts that they hit the ding.

then they put all 20 balls on the same screen.

Putter precision tests   

RSS