Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Club ratings L20+ vs L3+

rated by 0 users
Sat, Sep 17 2022 9:55 AM (7 replies)
  • DavidBrock
    5 Posts
    Wed, Nov 3 2021 2:40 PM

Looking at different club sets and what not, There seems no rhyme or reason to the numbers. I'm sure there is and some kind person is going to explain it to me. 8-D

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Wed, Nov 3 2021 10:51 PM

Maybe there ain't no rhyme and reason...

Higher level numbers mean that the players' grind to grab them is long, thus there may be hope to get better clubs.

OTOH, there are quite good clubs at L0 or other low levels. WGT compensates for the lost grind by charging more for those.

There are two general "rules" on prices:

- "slow meter" items cost more credits, balls and  clubs alike,

- "early availability" costs more credits.

• DavidBrock
    5 Posts
    Thu, Nov 4 2021 2:33 PM

So, should I be aiming for clubs with a low or high L#+ ? But the big things equipment which slow the swing meter down.  Oh and thanks for the reply alosso.

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Thu, Nov 4 2021 11:45 PM

DavidBrock:
    So, should I be aiming for clubs with a low or high L#+ ?
    I cannot tell you this.

In general, it may be advisable to wait because higher level clubs, on average, are better. For higher shot lengths and added precision or spin, look at high level clubs. Alas, there are a few bargains available.

There are two major points in our WGT "careers" to change clubs: Becoming Master, and becoming a Legend. Both include major steps back on the tees, making a point for longer clubs.

OTOH, the XP gaps between the levels rise from the start, becoming significant at L80 and tremendous at L88. Thus, it may be a torture to delay a purchase decision in this range to level up.

When you search the forums for recommendations, a few clubs or club sets stand out in the reviews. You still have to decide if you want to go the moderate way, buying with a budget, or full in, grabbing for the best equipment available. Same applies to the balls.

For you, an Amateur at L29, the wedges at L39 may be interesting (do NOT wait till L51 since the Starters are crap!). You may go back to the Starter putter, as it's not too bad. You may try the B-ES balls if you accept to cover the costs regularily.

Everything else, wait a few levels unless you go all in. At some time, a 3WD may be a substitute for the driver, and you may feel the need for better irons. Ping i500 at different levels are a solid choice but not top notch.

Decision time is when you become a Master!

• DavidBrock
    5 Posts
    Fri, Nov 5 2021 5:48 PM

Yeah, I noticed today you have to pay attention to spin, meter, precision, and forgiveness (or whatever the word is that they use....  

• SamSpayed
    4,909 Posts
    Sat, Nov 6 2021 1:10 PM

DavidBrock:
    So, should I be aiming for clubs with a low or high L#+ ?

Hi David.  The L# of a club (or ball) simply tells you what Level you have to be in order to purchase that club (or ball).  Generally speaking, the higher the L# of the club, the better the club.  As alosso noted, there are some exceptions - i.e. the L0 clubs generally have very good specs, but you pay a premium price for that early availability.

I'm not sure what your budget is for clubs, but at your level I'd look at picking up some wedges first.  If you're on a budget, look at the L7-8 Clevelands.  If you have a little more to spend, the L27-31 Titleist Vokeys are excellent and will serve you well until you reach the upper levels.

The starter putter is pretty good, so you can stick with that for awhile if you like.  Or you can take a look at the TaylorMade Spider X Putter (L35+) in a few days when you reach L35.  It's a decent putter for only 900 credits.

Hope this helps 🙂

• RichK34
    11 Posts
    Sat, Sep 17 2022 9:55 AM

I was once a junkie for the premium balls, but now I'm happy to play with a ball that's a 3.5/6 meter. 

Do you apply backspin on your shots? I learned from a champion months ago that if you put full backspin on your drives, the ball will stop almost on a dime. I use full backspin on drives that have the wind at my back, to take advantage of the wind.

I also rarely put when I'm on the fringe, preferring to chip or pitch to take the undulations of the green out of the way. I usually go full backspin on those shots, too, and generally base my ball strike on the distance to the hole.

RSS