Forums

Help › Forums

Re: bottom line here is HELP!!!!!

Tue, Dec 8 2009 10:24 AM (7 replies)
  • casperspal
    18 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2009 3:48 AM

Before I open the reply door up please understand that my post may at times sound like whining or complaining. But, in essence I am sincerely just looking for some helpful hints that may lead to a more enjoyable experience. Yes, I have grown frustrated with this game due to my inability to conyinue to improve and I don't know if I am just not getting it or I just flat out suck and should go back to playing online Golden Tee Golf (member for over 6 yrs). I have practiced and played and practiced and played and purchased clubs and balls and practiced and played etc..etc. and I cannot find any consistancy in my game except that Im guarenteed to shoot a + round 8 out of 10 times..

• I have to be one of the most inconsistant drivers playing this game. I cant figure out the key to pulling the trigger on time consitantly. When I miss I miss big and I miss often. I watch others time after time hit the fairway.
    • Pitch/chip shots seem to react differently everytime. Why does a pitch shot with a max distance of 15 yards hit at only 80% travel 18 yards at times and less at others. (and I understand the slope of the greens and that is not the issue).
    • Putting....maybe the most frustrating part of this game. OMG some of these greens have the most unrealistic breaks and pin locations. I am not the only one who feels this way. I believe WGT needs to make the putting a litttle more foregiving.
    • The scores i see posted in tournaments blow me away. With the troubles I am experiencing it boggles my mind how I could possibly be missing that much. I am a relatively smart individual with better than average skills but this game has me stumped.........HELP

My mother taught me if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything. So with that being said I'm open to practice tips to improve game, constructive critisism and cheat codes (joke on that one) or whatever anyone might offer.

Thank you in advance for your assistance

• molideha
    213 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2009 4:22 AM

hi casper....I think i saw where you joined the ladder site....lets go 18 holes sometime and we'll work on your points of interest.

PM me at the ladder site and we'll arrange a good time.

gl

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2009 4:49 AM

A cursory look at your stats show me that putting is your biggest issue.

Your 3 putt percentage is way too high, and indicates to me that putting distance may be an issue.   If you can't putt to specific distances consistently, you'll never have a good game (unless you're able to put your approach shots within 1-2 yards of the hole every time).

In the FAQ's, there's a thread named "Putting Tips".   Also check out the "chip and pitch tips" thread also in the FAQ's.

Regarding your timing issues, one way to try and address it is by taking a "practice swing".   Basically setup your shot, and then do the swing you're looking to take, but don't click on the accuracy (let it swing through, but visualize where/when you click for accuracy).   Since you currently have different speed clubs, it'll at least get you ready for the speed of the particular club you're using for that shot.   When I find my timing start to slip, I'll narrow down the range of where I watch the swing meter.    Sometimes when I watch it from the start, I end up in impatient mode or what I like to call "spectator" mode where I end up watching the swing meter too long and not clicking at the right point.   When this happens, I narrow down the area where I'm concentrating on to just the hitting zone (the first line prior to the accuracy point up to the accuracy point, from left to right).   So as soon as the swing meter gets to the "hitting zone", I know I have basically a split second after to click (for the fast swing meter and default ball).   This tends to tighten up my timing, even if I still have issues with hitting perfect, I'll be within a few pixels on either side of perfect which isn't too bad (and much better than missing wide right or left).

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2009 5:03 AM

casperspal, don't forget to press the SPACEBAR before putting. This will allow you a (usually) less crooked view of the putt from behind the hole. Many players actually prefer putting while looking at the putt from reverse view.

79 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2009 5:21 AM

I am a newbie, so I probably should not be giving advice. I have played over 100 rounds of 9 holes at beth. This is what I have found out

Driving, is just a matter of timing the swing meter, so if you have a problem with driving, I would say your timing needs work on the practice field

I have found that when you take your shot, you should be thinking of your next shot. If you play pool, you can understand that you must think at least one shot ahead, and this game is the same. I have found that shooting to the rough has big advantages. The rough to the cup is a lot easier chipping, than putting. 

As far as putting is concerned, I have found that if you line up wrong, but hit the meter right, chances are your putt will still go in.

Just some thoughts

• casperspal
    18 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2009 9:18 AM
    Thank you for all the helpful tips. They are greatly appreciated. Don't let my putting average fool you. Most of my 3 putt holes come at a time when I have pretty much given up on a round. I tend to not take my time and calculate the distance or break as well i stop looking at the reverse angle. I now also realize that this is rather childish act not to mention I'm slowing down the speed of play for others. On that note my new attitude will be to use those time to try and better my game. Thanks again
  • casperspal
    18 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2009 9:20 AM

molideha, I qill definately take you up on your offer. Thank you in advance for setting the time aside.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2009 10:24 AM

There are times due to swing meter stutter or brain malfunction where I'll get frustrated and begin my fast playing style which consists of leaving the default aim, and aim exclusively by missing left or right on the swing meter.

Interestingly enough, the last time I did that I went from +3 to E over the span of 5 holes, lol.   And one of the birdies was a 25 foot putt with a huge break where if I had missed any further right on the swing meter, I would've missed the ball.

RSS