Help › Forums

Re: Real World Gold Equipment

Sat, Oct 15 2011 11:40 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 15 2011 6:50 AM

SpencerS25:

I am looking forward to the adjustment features of the r11 :)

I am looking forward to being good enough for this to make a difference. Heh-thinking my time has passed but can root for the kid.  ;-)

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sat, Oct 15 2011 8:45 AM

Can't wait to get back up to NW. Penn. My mother said my set of clubs from 1965 were in the back of the attic. I thought these were gone years ago. My dad said the bag is dry rotted but the clubs still look decent. They are a mongrel set of McGregors and Pennlast from JC Pennys. The woods are yes (wood) with aluminum shafts and brass sole plates. My putter was given to me after winning a caddie tournament in 1966, it has a wooden shaft. Also have a brand new dozen  Zippo SDX balls from 1966 with Kendall Oil logos on them. I can't wait to see what explodes first, the club head or the ball. One club is going back in my current bag, a steel shaft McGregor 2 iron, with a brass face. I'm sure the old red leather grip will need replaced. I can remember a lot of recovery shots from under the trees with that old thing. It is going to be a hoot to see the faces on my golf buddies when I pull that set out of the trunk.

• SpencerS25
    123 Posts
    Sat, Oct 15 2011 9:41 AM

Haha those clubs are going to be cool to play with. Makes you think about technology these days too and how fast it is developing.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 15 2011 10:36 AM

My son finally harassed me enough last year to part with my Wilson Strata-Bloc wooden driver with matching 3W. I was still getting 230-240 with it (down from 270+ with the balata Titleist 100 ball back in the day) but it was the vintage sound of the ball hitting wood that kept it in my bag for so long. Nothing like a genuine THWACK compared to today's PING!  :-)

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sat, Oct 15 2011 11:40 AM

Those were the days YJ, if your scratched your driver, no prob. Just go home, a little stain and spar varnish and just like new. I know how to E-coat, but I don't have a 100 grand worth of equipment in my garage to do it with. Love the THWACK, I didn't know how to spell it, thank you. Getting antsie to hear that sound again.

• PAGES
RSS