Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Question about distance shown on clubs.

rated by 0 users
Sat, Nov 23 2019 9:18 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Sat, Nov 23 2019 5:27 AM

andwhy67:
    I unlocked the appearance tab, changed my pants to the fox wind and my Rogue wedge is now 124, and wedges 3 yds more, I don’t know if that’s a good thing, it’s got me recalculating yardages. 

LOL  I try to only use the items that don't change my club distances.  Well, only the irons/wedges.  Don't mind a longer Driver or 3 wood, but don't want to relearn wedge and iron distances.  :)

It's in the H2H matches that I'm seeing variances in my driver distance.  One match it shows as a 312 yd driver, in another it's only 297 etc.  With no change in apparel between matches. 

Doesn't matter too much as I'm ok with having no distance increases to not have to figure out what the clubs will do after already knowing them so well.  Just interested in knowing if there is a reason why or just something else needing a fix.  

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Sat, Nov 23 2019 6:11 AM

Much like the numbers listed for clubs, the distance factor for balls has to have some variety of randomness. If one plays the white rock under ideal conditions it might be expected that shots should average very close to the distance rating for the club being used. ( I don't believe this is the case but it is what we might expect.)

Other than the white rocks there are only two balls that have 0 distance and 0 spin characteristics. There are 9 different balls that have distance characteristics higher than 0 but 0 spin. Perhaps the best way to determine the yardage added to a drive is to use the white rock to chart an average distance. Then in exactly the same way chart the distance using one of the 1 distance, 0 spin balls. Mind that it must be carry and not roll out that is charted.

Doing the above should give a reasonable idea of what a 1 distance factor might be. But is the same factor used to move from a 1 distance to a 2? If a 1 distance factor gives an added 2 yards to a drive; does a 2 factor give 4 added yards. The problem now will be to find a ball with a 2 distance on 0 spin to use in further experiments. Since every 2 distance ball has a least a 1 spin rating there is no way to determine how much actual distance is added to  drives using higher distance balls because spin will always be a parameter; even when a player uses 0 ADDED spin. (Even 0 spin balls spin when struck)

There is no way then to determine how much distance alone is added to higher end balls. But a 5 yard hat is just that. It will add 5 yards to whatever distance was arrived at because of ball qualities and conditions. Perhaps that is why 5 yard hats, or other garment benefits, are not a factor in WGT tournaments but can be used in coin games.

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Sat, Nov 23 2019 8:10 AM

hpurey:
    but don't want to relearn wedge and iron distances.  :)

I have been testing a theory, but don't want to put anything out there that could be off or seem misleading if it doesn't work....  A LOT depends specifically on what sponsor apparel you can use...

that said, I believe it is possible to make very close approximations of your "new iron" yardages provided you already have your irons mapped out...

if I can verify it a bit, I think it would work for desktop players converting to new iron yardages or mobile players converting to stripped down default club yardages...  it can be finnicky though depending on the apparel choices... but it is possible I believe.  

The reason I looked into it... you hear people complain about the 3 wd so much, I tend to play with the maxed out iron apparel boost... in doing so, I can get a 3 iron that nearly plays to a 3wd yardage …

Interestingly enough, it is the type of club 5wd/ true hybrid distance that WGT has never offered...  despite it now being abundantly clear the clubs and distances can so easily be tweaked to lengthen or shorten a club distance.  

I have not maxed out the hybrid yardage to see what it would play at because I just haven't played a hybrid.  Would be interesting to know the maxed out hybrid yardage … it could be handy in some coin games and technically should play better than the 3wd if you can get 3wd distance.  

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Sat, Nov 23 2019 9:15 AM

hpurey:

Anyone know why one round my driver club distance shows 312 yards and the next it says 297 yards and another it shows 299 yards?   All with same apparel set up. 

I believe this is a display glitch with apparel that has never been fixed. You often get shown the apparel bonuses for your opponent. This happens both with the displayed yardages of clubs, and with the end-of-game sponsor packs (where you are often shown points adding to L8 of something when you know you have it maxed out at L10). My best guess is that this is a display glitch only, and that the clubs and points still function as they should for your own stuff 'behind the scenes', but I'm happy to be corrected if this is wrong.

• carlosdev
    2,528 Posts
    Sat, Nov 23 2019 9:18 AM

This is happening in Custom courses too in browser version!!!

If u do not move the aimer n double check the distance to the pin, the ball will be "VOILA"

- Carl 

• PAGES
RSS