Forums

Help › Forums

Re: veteran & higher level player feedback section

Wed, Nov 13 2019 3:28 PM (146 replies)
  • DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Mon, Nov 11 2019 4:55 AM

salamicus:

Sometimes I feel like idiot, but need to play something golf like. Would gladly play TGC19, but dont have neither cpu for that, nor console. Let's hope that until this new game is fully ready to replace flash game, most of it will be improved

Nik

I just got a XBot controller for GC2019. It works pretty well. I am not very good at it though.

This is my game by far. 

• salamicus
    1,016 Posts
    Mon, Nov 11 2019 5:34 AM

DonCaron:

I just got a XBot controller for GC2019. It works pretty well. I am not very good at it though.

This my game by far. 

Nice Don, hope you ll get better at it...I always wanted to try TGC. Even installed some pirated version with practice courses, few years back. But my computer is some budget thing..no fast enough proc..no graphics card with ram... So I only watch videos of other ppl playing it... I think I would love it just for feel and looks of many courses, if not anything else

This one captures beauty of the game perfectly... Dont know is it pc or console ver.

Nik

• fireman33
    2,692 Posts
    Mon, Nov 11 2019 7:57 AM

It's not that flash is going away. The problem is the browsers are going to quit supporting it.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Mon, Nov 11 2019 9:54 AM

fireman33:

It's not that flash is going away. The problem is the browsers are going to quit supporting it.

Yes, thats correct. I really don't understand why no one else has made a workable flash.

• salamicus
    1,016 Posts
    Mon, Nov 11 2019 10:35 AM

Flash is dying. Adobe has announced that Flash development will discontinue completely by 2020. In the software world this is considered “end of life”. Adobe is abandoning Flash to the software graveyard.

What killed Flash?

The cause of Flash’s death was multifaceted. But it didn’t die a natural peaceful death. In a sense, Flash was euthanized by the tech community that helped create it because it was a permanent security risk.

Should my website bury Flash?

The rest of the Web is – why not you too? The World Wide Web is abandoning Flash for good reasons.

The majority of Web users will not be able or willing to play back your Flash content. If you have a video introduction your mobile visitor can’t view it. If you have a slideshow of previous work your average visitor won’t play it. If you have a proprietary web app using Flash many visitors will just bounce to another site. You are losing traffic and your site ranking is hurting.

Your Flash media is a security risk for every visitor to your website who runs it. It doesn’t take a complicated hack to use an outdated Flash plugin playing your content to hijack one of your visitor’s computers. Your visitors are being hurt. You exist to make others’ lives better, right? So its time to bury Flash on your website.

This are some excerpts ...You could possibly understand WGT reasons by simply googling on this subjects... From my point of view... why would they invest in dying technology?

Nik

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Wed, Nov 13 2019 1:30 PM

salamicus:
    Flash was euthanized by the tech community that helped create it because it was a permanent security risk.

The tech community didn't create Flash, it was a plugin for Director for creating vector animations within that application. It was created by media people for media people who worked with it. 

The 'tech community' more accurately Adobe screwed it up so beyond repair it's ridiculous, always has been, almost to the day they sucked up Macromedia. 

It's not the content which creates the security issues within the networking/internet environment, it's the installation and functionality of the player/s and what people can code into them, which again , Adobe were responsible for. 

Flash was never created to do what it has been doing since Adobe took it... People who've worked with it since MM days know this and many articles and such explain that. Unfortunately for many years there simply was no other tool which could deliver animated content via the web and browsers. 

Flash was never created to be a game development platform as it has been used over the last 20 years or so, in saying that it's not the content that creates the issues, never has been.

Should it be mothballed? Absolutely, should have been done 15 years ago, but not because of the content created with it. There isn't anything wrong with the content, in fact Flash is extremely powerful for what it does and does best. AS can be coded to do very impressive things, if used as it is intended. 

Unity is the flavor of choice for game developers mostly now, you can develop applications with it if you choose to, should you? No, it's not really for application development but it can be done. This is much the case with later Flash work, ya you can do what you're doing, we don't recommend you do though. People did anyway. 

WGT should never have used it to create this game, that's a given, in saying that, the game should show you what you can do with it. There is a way this game can continue on as is, it would take a bit of work on WGT/TG's part but it could be done. Question is, why bother? Flash support is going away by Adobe, I don't think WGT/TG wants the headache of becoming the support point for the player and installations. 

Flash was great to use, I worked with it for ten or so years when it was part of Director, too bad that it gets the bad rap which it does. It's Adobe which deserves the bad rap truth be told. 

• SamSpayed
    4,890 Posts
    Wed, Nov 13 2019 3:28 PM

Excellent history lesson and analysis of Flash, dedBuNNy.  Hopefully that will help some folks understand why TopGolf is replacing the Flash version of WGT with Unity and .NET.  

RSS