Forums

Help › Forums

Re: GameBooster

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 15 2010 5:03 AM (6 replies)
  • GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2009 7:46 AM

Hello everyone and no this is not a complaint.I just wanted to ask someone if the Clean and boost PC option  that is provided by GameBooster  is safe to use.I still have no problems to mention.I just wanted to hear from someone who has used this to make sure it is safe.

Runaway Broom                                              

Thanks,Larry

• casique1
    370 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2009 8:00 AM

http://wgt.com/forums/p/2643/12534.aspx#12534

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2009 8:25 AM

I've decided (currently) not to install it. I was told that disabling certain background services could lead to system instability, depending on when and if those disabled services were called upon during it's use.

However, I've also been told that the application can be configured to selectively pause bgd services. I don't know if this would be any different than disabling them... so the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned.

Just my opinion. I don't consider myself particularly "computer-savvy", but know enough to possess a healthy dose of paranoia. lol. ;) 

Bottom line for me: I still haven't learned enough about it to trust that it would be consistently effective, and not cause longrange headaches. Besides that, I don't think that it would help with any of the server issues that have yet to be acknowledged/addressed.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sun, Mar 14 2010 6:42 AM

PugsAce:

I've decided (currently) not to install it...

Well... after months of frustration, inquiries/exploration of GB, and the acceptance that server issues aren't to blame, I decided to give it a try.

I Installed the newest version, and "loading" here is VERY FAST. After playing 1/2 dozen rounds, I've found that allowing GB to disable my "UNNECESSARY" bgd processes/services really does help, and it is easy to do with a simple click (or three). HOWEVER...

I STILL GET FREQUENT "METER STUTTERS". :(

I'll be experimenting further by allowing GB to disable more than just the "default" apps that are initially chosen. GB can show ALL of the running processes that may be the culprit, when it comes to my meter problem, and each of these can be selectively disabled individually simply by checking it's "tickbox". I must re-iterate that ALL of the running processes are shown. SOME SHOULD NOT BE DISABLED... i.e. explorer.exe.

I'm running Windows Vista (64) Home Premium - "Aero". If others here at WGT who have had success using GB would care to chime-in about which additional processes they found necessary (and safe) to disable to help their own meter-stutter, I'd be eternally grateful. :)

In the meantime, I'll be messing with it on my own, and will report back with any success.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sun, Mar 14 2010 8:04 AM

I have used it exclusively and have nothing but good things to say for it. It defenitely helps mine through most meter problems. If I didn't run it, I could not play in a pair or foursome. Thats JMO though, to each his own I guess. I also immediately turn it off when I am done playing, I wouldn't surf the web with it turned on!

1,644 Posts
    Sun, Mar 14 2010 9:06 PM

I too use it religiously, I run XP pro on a bare minimum spec laptop and it works like a dream when I shut down every process listed.  I have never had any issues.  The only thing I can't really do is print while it's enabled... which is no big deal.  If you do have any instability the fix is really only a reboot away.....

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Mon, Mar 15 2010 5:03 AM

To those that are also running GB...

How many instances of your browser do you find in GB's list of processes when you click the box to show all processes?

When I run IE, I find three... when I run Chrome, I find three. I only have the gameclient window open at the time I start GB, so I'm confused as to why there are other instances of the browser showing in the list.

There's no real way to know (AFAIK) which instance is running the game, so I don't know which one's to close. I'd like to only be running one, during gameplay. If it's a peculiarity specific to my system, I've got more "exploring" to do...

My initial thought, while I only had IE installed (no Chrome), was that the other IE's were also open for updates and the such. But now, being that Chrome isn't the default browser, it can't be being used for updates, or anything else, could it?

RSS