Help › Forums

Re: Withdrew from a tournament due to Meter Issues

rated by 0 users
Wed, Oct 7 2009 3:51 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • cobra4
    359 Posts
    Wed, Oct 7 2009 2:57 AM

I have always played with the 1st wgt browser window always active,so i think i will close that window down while playing. And yes,it has also been stated by a computer technician in another thread which is on going as we speak, that the problems are related to flash content. and not internet speed. I said i may be wrong about the speed being the problem, but listening to what Tibbets , you and the other guy ,it seems like flash is the problem.Thanks for clearing this up .

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Wed, Oct 7 2009 4:53 AM

This question is to tibbets.  Have you compared the G-ID and B-XD balls and their impact on the jittering meter. 

Secondly,  obviously I still have lots more to learn since you are coping with the meter so well and you consistently shoot fantastic rounds.

• molideha
    213 Posts
    Wed, Oct 7 2009 6:41 AM

I've been convinced for some time that the meter stutter is caused in large part to WGT sending and receiving packets during the swing...WGT should consider that a player having an uninterrupted swing is more important than notifying me that a friend is now online...check 1 time for friend updates (and invites) as the next shot loads and be done with it.

so i did some simple testing...1st of all i observed my IP traffic while nothing was running except the wgt gameclient...on average 3 packets are sent and received in the time it takes to execute 1 swing...i was doing just practice swings as fast as the game would allow.

then i decided to test the swing meter stutter while i was allowing IP traffic and with IP traffic disabled (zone alarm allows you to disable all IP traffic)....this test was in 50 swing increments, a total of 200 swings...all practice swings as fast as the game will allow, with the following results;

WGT Meter Stutter Test Results
      Minor Stutters / Major Skips
    Server Allow IP Packets NO IP Packets
    Test conducted with all programs closed running game booster
    wgtg05 17/2 15/0
    psj-gs05 16/1 15/0

it was counted as a minor stutter if i felt the stutter would have affected my concentration and ability to execute cleanly...a major stutter is a start-stop stutter than can send your ball out of play.

what i determine from these results is 1) major stutters only occur when IP traffic is allowed (see my opening comments about WGT constantly sending/receiving packets even during a swing). 2) the minor stutter counts were unaffected by the IP traffic status or the specific WGT server (meaning it could be the flash code, it could be my hardware...aka its something relatively predictable).

i would add that in all 36 of the stutters experienced in the test, the stutter started early enough in the swing that i would have aborted the swing had i been playing a round.

• Als6437
    428 Posts
    Wed, Oct 7 2009 11:21 AM

Infinito,

In game options, set it on low quality flash.  Also, in the advanced options turn off the background loading. It helped me out a lot.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Wed, Oct 7 2009 3:13 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'll try setting background loading to off.  As for the flash to low quality, I really don't like that idea, mainly because I enjoy the HD scenery. 

Results, turning off the background loading has help immensely.  Now, this would coincide with molideha results of the amount of IP traffic.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Oct 7 2009 3:23 PM

I've had background loading off for quite some time, it may help a little.  Nevertheless, even with it off there are still packets being transferred during idle periods, and it's never been determined what these packets are or why there is anything being transferred from a WGT server when my avatar is remaining motionless.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Oct 7 2009 3:51 PM

molideha:
    WGT Meter Stutter Test Results
     Minor Stutters / Major Skips
    ServerAllow IP PacketsNO IP Packets
    Test conducted with all programs closed running game booster
    wgtg05 17/2 15/0
    psj-gs05 16/1 15/0

Glad to see those psj-gs servers aren't as horrible (at least not always) as initially reported. Some people already started panicking, wanting to quit any multi-player round immediately upon noticing they got connected to one of the psj-gs servers.

• PAGES
RSS