Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Gone with the wind

rated by 0 users
Sun, Oct 4 2009 1:00 PM (2 replies)
  • lkennedy
    194 Posts
    Sun, Oct 4 2009 3:20 AM
    Just wondering how it's possible to hit 100 yard shot dead on into a 12 mph headwind and going over by 3 yards. This has occurred more than once. A tailwind gives the desired extra yardage, so it stands to reason that a headwind should slow the ball down. Don't tell me that it's because of the balls. Is no way a 12 mph headwind shot should go over. This game is mostly math, so if there is a formula, such as adding .25% for headwind, I would like to know for consistency. Am not talking about a target with negative elevation either. Have also experienced an invisible wall on a few occassions. The ball goes up about 10 yards and nosedives. Anyone else?
  • cjfelton
    79 Posts
    Sun, Oct 4 2009 9:17 AM

Did you have spin on the shot?  Full backspin with a straight headwind elevates the ball more and will cause it carry further.  It may stop on a dime but the distance may be too long.  Also, wind with your irons generally needs to be divided in half and added to or subtracted from your distance.  Given the shot you described and no change in elevation, I would try to hit it 106 yards with full backspin.  Do that and you should be close.

But looking at your profile, you must have figured that out by now.  Is this a new issue that we should be aware of?

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, Oct 4 2009 1:00 PM

You've obviously ran afoul of 'the beast'.  It is a variable of unknown degrees in any facet of your swing / mechanics / calculations.

Yes, this game is mostly mathmatics and can be tracked as such, but you need to be able to factor in ALL variables.

If you would like to spend your day reading, simpley type in 'Beast" in the forum search box.  Believe me when I say that this is a FEATURE that WGT has implemented and not a bug.  They are striving for the most realistic golf esperience out there.  Noone, not even Eldrick Tont Woods can put the ball exaclty where he wants it everytime. 

RSS