Forums

Help › Forums

Re: How to improve your average.

Fri, Oct 28 2022 10:51 AM (3 replies)
  • hleland
    76 Posts
    Sun, Mar 19 2017 3:27 PM

Yesterday, the 18th, I beat a Tour Legend in match play in a scored 9 hole round +2.

I was under the impression that if you beat a player in a higher tier it would lower your

average. My average didn't move a click.  What are the ways to improve you average and how many strokes below par do you need to make a change and how many rounds?  I'm at 63.96.

• Robert1893
    7,693 Posts
    Sun, Mar 19 2017 3:46 PM

hleland:

I was under the impression that if you beat a player in a higher tier it would lower your average.

Once you hit Legend tier, I don't think that's true.

At Legend tier, you saturate at 500 rounds. If you're not saturated, then you have to shoot a 31 or lower (for 9 holes) or 63 or lower for 18. If you're saturated, you simply have to score lower than your highest scores, within that 500.

But because it's 500 rounds the average is based on, the change in your average may be very slight or (at times as your score gets lower) not noticeable at all.

• alosso
    21,045 Posts
    Sun, Mar 19 2017 11:03 PM

Robert1893:
    Once you hit Legend tier, I don't think that's true.

^^^^^^ This!

hleland:
    how many strokes below par do you need
    Think in absolute strokes and double the scores of nine hole rounds, because a 30 (=60) counts the same regardless of the course!

One additional note to

hleland:
    What are the ways to improve you average

If your aim is to tier up, this is not the core of the subject. It doesn't matter IMHO if your average is 64 or 62, unless you are in a competition with a friend. All that matters is to collect 500 scores to form a 60.000 average. 65 or higher scores are probably out of this collection, even if they contribute to your current average.

Have fun!

• B747FE
    3 Posts
    Fri, Oct 28 2022 10:51 AM

Thanks for sharing....I did not check my # of rounds when I made Legend.....I have no idea how close I am to 500.............guess I'm playing in the dark....oh well !!

RSS