Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Auuugghhhh!!! @$#%@$ Putter!

rated by 0 users
Wed, Apr 27 2011 11:00 AM (1 replies)
  • JaLaBar
    1,254 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2011 9:48 AM

I hit 81%+ of fairways, with an average drive of 257.  I hit 75% of greens with an average length to hole of 18'.  Yet my average is just over 71, I average 1.75 putts per hole, and 60% of holes I'm 2 or 3 putting.

I played the Pro Tier Open (which actually was when I leveled to Tour Pro), and shot a 71 at St. Andrews.  I bogeyed two holes, one after missing a par putt, one after missing a birdie and a par putt.  I birdie three, one after missing an eagle putt.  I had a total of 16 birdie putts on the round, and made three.  I'd say of those 16, 13 were within 20'.

Of course, since I just rose a tier, the competition will be better and play more difficult, but I feel like I could really be competitive if I could putt consistently, and right now I am far from it.  Not far off, missing most by less than a foot.  But if I do miss long and run one way by, it's pot luck if I'll make the comeback.  And without consistent putting, there is no way I compete on tournament caliber greens.

First of all, I struggle with faster meters.  But I'm accurate tee to green, and when I get some slightly longer clubs, I should be able to stiff a lot of pins.  Planning on the Rapture Irons and 3Wood, probably the Driver too, though I plan on trying a 50%meter longer driver when I level to one.  So I should spend a lot of time eying birdie putts, whatever my tier.

I've tried The Spider and the Anser.  I'm better with the Spider.  I plan to try the Rosa when I level up to it.  I've tried playing the curve, above or below the ding for breaks.  I have tried changing my aim.  I have tried a combination of both.  I'm usually good on distance, though I'll occasionally leave a downhill putt short.  Wouldn't happen if I had confidence in my line.  I tend to read putts better playing curves then by aim, and use a combination of both for more drastic breaks.  I'm ok with angled view shots on longer putts, but when I miss a gimme (inside 6'), it's usually because of an angled view.  My biggest problem seems to be hitting my mark on the downswing.  Whether it's intending to play a lot of left curve and not playing enough, or meaning to leave it just outside and dinging, or meaning to ding and hitting it just low.

I'd really like to do well at this, and compete with the top players.  If anyone has any suggestions... I know improving my fairway clubs will help just because I'll be closer to pins, but any help anyone can suggest to iron out the greens a little for me would be greatly appreciated.

• Yappy22
    733 Posts
    Wed, Apr 27 2011 11:00 AM

Hit it long.

Hit it straight.

Don't hit it in the rough.

Hit your approach shots with in 6" of the pin.  (this really helps your putting game.)

I hope this helps your game!!!!

RSS