Re: Free sleeve of balls

Thu, Nov 11 2010 2:16 AM (39 replies)
  • mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Wed, Nov 10 2010 10:38 AM

AntonioBunkeras:

PRIESTESS:

Unlimited,,

I beg to disagree. A piece, by definition, cannot be an unlimited quantity!

A piece is a piece, a limited portion of something, small piece, big piece...piece of string, piece of rope, piece of meat, piece of chocolate, piece o land, piece of cake... etc.

Depends on how you think about it - you can spend ages measuring the "length" with rulers, lasers maybe even trying to cound how many atoms in the rope. Since there are virtually unlimited levels of accuracy you can measure the length to - there is no definate answer. Some may even argue that it is infinite.

• RobNE
    74 Posts
    Wed, Nov 10 2010 11:00 AM

Suspect this is unanswerable, as the normally used term would be 'a length of rope'.

A piece, therefore, would be anything that is not long enough to be a length.  In other words, not long enough to be useful.

On the other hand, "a piece of rope" is 15 characters long.

• AntonioBunkeras
    262 Posts
    Wed, Nov 10 2010 11:20 AM

mohuyu:

AntonioBunkeras:

PRIESTESS:

Unlimited,,

I beg to disagree. A piece, by definition, cannot be an unlimited quantity!

A piece is a piece, a limited portion of something, small piece, big piece...piece of string, piece of rope, piece of meat, piece of chocolate, piece o land, piece of cake... etc.

Depends on how you think about it - you can spend ages measuring the "length" with rulers, lasers maybe even trying to cound how many atoms in the rope. Since there are virtually unlimited levels of accuracy you can measure the length to - there is no definate answer. Some may even argue that it is infinite.

You cannot walk into a store and say "please give me a piece", you will inevitably get the reply, " a piece of what?" A piece is always a part, portion of something, so therefore, it is a measurable limited quantity of that something.

I believe the question "how long is a piece of rope?" has NO logical answer, simply because the indefinite article "a" is used, you cannot measure something without knowing what it is. It's the same as saying, how much does a stone weigh?

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Wed, Nov 10 2010 11:30 AM

A piece of rope walks into a bar, and the bartender

says, “We don’t serve your kind.” The rope goes outside, ties himself in a knot and frays one end of himself. He walks back into the bar and the bartender says, “Weren’t you just in here?” The rope replies, “No, I’m a frayed knot.”

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Wed, Nov 10 2010 11:36 AM

a piece is normally something that is between 1 and  6in in length

• bandidos
    50 Posts
    Wed, Nov 10 2010 12:02 PM

Until u get the final

ty gs-d1

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Wed, Nov 10 2010 12:24 PM

AntonioBunkeras:

I believe the question "how long is a piece of rope?" has NO logical answer, simply because the indefinite article "a" is used, you cannot measure something without knowing what it is. It's the same as saying, how much does a stone weigh?

Even if he specified what rope it is - it would still be impossible to give a value of "length" unless the degree of accuracy required is specified. Judging the length by eye one could say a given rope is 15cm in length, measuring with a ruler it would seem it is 14.7cm long, with more advanced equipment you would get a length of 14.7432cm, you could consider the length of the strands, how many atoms in it etc.

So unlimited is a good answer to that question.

• Fata
    116 Posts
    Wed, Nov 10 2010 12:29 PM

28  22+6

Now send me them vapor balls will ya?

• TextMyPC
    232 Posts
    Wed, Nov 10 2010 2:02 PM

nickuk:

the distance measured from one end to the other!

or twice as long as half its length! (tour sd white ty) or even a piece is any length smaller than a spool!

hmmmn to late to delete...heyho! ROPE? lol

We have a winner. The length of a piece of rope is twice as long as half it's length.

TMPC

• nickuk
    967 Posts
    Thu, Nov 11 2010 2:16 AM

YAY!

cant wait for my seven sleeves of new shiny balls!

RSS