Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Why LOST BALL?

rated by 0 users
Fri, Oct 22 2010 5:42 PM (5 replies)
  • SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Fri, Oct 22 2010 10:50 AM

Since the first day I've been playing, it happened to me on some occasion to send it in the weeds. No big deal, it happens also to the best of us. Those shots are not easy to recover but it's feasible to sent it back to the fairway or at least a more playable lie by using a sharp wedge, use the PUNCH shut and whack it like there's no tomorrow! I've did it before...

But since a little while, I've noticed that when the lie reads "IN THE WEEDS", it is automatically a lost ball! I would like to know when and why has this changed?

Those balls are expensive! (Oops! ...I think I've just answered my own question)

Rob

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Fri, Oct 22 2010 12:41 PM

SystemCrash:
    Those balls are expensive! (Oops! ...I think I've just answered my own question)

Just yesterday, I was playing a practice round at SA with a G12-S.  The pin was on the front of the green and my ball was near the burn.  Tried to flip a 60 decree wedge to see how close I could get to pin, I got a little too cute and in the burn it goes...penalty...ball gone.  Why can't we get some forgiveness here, at least for practice rounds, because those balls are expensive...but like you said, I think I've just answered my own question.  Hey, at least give us the option to use a "Water ball" like when we practice real golf (smile).

Joey

PS: Flame baiters, please note the (smile) 

• Stryder1261
    931 Posts
    Fri, Oct 22 2010 4:08 PM

the par 5 on the front 9, hit my drive to the right into the fescue, no problem just pitch it back to the fairway right, Wrong !!!!! lost ball, do not drop laterally, go back to the tee box and lose the ball ! WTF WGT? I shouldnt have to go back 300 yds and re-tee it plus lose the ball !!  lost ball, ok Im pissed but I have 300 yds, no closer to the hole to drop out of the hazard and play from there, read the rule book !!! If a ball cannot be found in an immovable obstruction, the player may take relief. If he elects to do so, he must determine the spot where the ball last crossed the outermost limits of the obstruction and the ball is deemed to lie at this spot !  

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Fri, Oct 22 2010 4:14 PM

Gorse......

Under the rules you would have to be certain that your ball was where you thought it was...otherwise it is stroke and distance.

That is the rule that WGT is implementing. 

• Sanco
    1,345 Posts
    Fri, Oct 22 2010 4:57 PM

Under the rules of golf any player has 6 minutes to find the ball and play the lie if the ball was lost inbounds - or it is stroke and distance... The rule of stroke and distance only automatically applies to out of bounds.

I understand only water hazards are automatic lost balls (unless it is casual water).

• ChristopherRouss
    133 Posts
    Fri, Oct 22 2010 5:42 PM
    I've never lost a ball in the fescue but weeds at Kaiwiah for sure... and water hazards..... wish we'd lose the ball in the woods at Bethpage hahahahahha... but if I hit it into those places I expect to lose a ball.... but what if you hit the shot perfect, accounting for the wind and they still put you into the drink? I'm not too happy about losing balls I aim at the middle of the green at ST. Andrews and they put the ball into the drink. Thanks for the raping WGT.
RSS