Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Forward spin when driving?

rated by 0 users
Sun, Oct 10 2010 1:49 PM (5 replies)
  • Toothpaste
    37 Posts
    Sun, Oct 10 2010 11:51 AM

My driving is to bad to see any difference at the moment, but should I always put forward spin when driving for a long shot? Does it any difference even though the club of mine only have half ball in spin? Should the tactics be different during different wind conditions?

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sun, Oct 10 2010 12:24 PM

On most holes that is what I do but it does depend on the hole. I would be curious to hear what others do?

• Skorpio77
    8 Posts
    Sun, Oct 10 2010 12:43 PM

Toothpaste:

My driving is to bad to see any difference at the moment, but should I always put forward spin when driving for a long shot? Does it any difference even though the club of mine only have half ball in spin? Should the tactics be different during different wind conditions?

I always apply top spin if I think my drive / shot might catch the rough, to help it roll through. In theory, I think top spin would mean the ball flies lower, but rolls further? I could be wrong, but that's how I play it.

• Swingbag
    22 Posts
    Sun, Oct 10 2010 1:49 PM

I have found it very inconsistent.  A majority of the time the ball looses a few yards and drops pre-mature, leaving me shorter than if i played no spin.  On fairway shots with irons it definitely takes a few yards off but rolls further so it is dependent on the shot situation.  Still trying to figure it all out lol

would love to hear some other points of view

Swingbag

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Sun, Oct 10 2010 2:05 PM

I personally only use top spin on a drive when hitting into a wind, and need to try to make sure it reaches somewhere, or want a little extra roll to make up for the loss in yardage from the wind.

For all other tee shots, I always apply full bottom spin. Seems to give it a bit more carry over those trouble spots, and doesn't seem to take too much off of the roll.

• jcs89
    172 Posts
    Sun, Oct 10 2010 2:28 PM

I pretty much agree with VanHalenLover....I usually use full topspin only when teeing off into the wind and when i don't have to worry about carry.  I go full backspin when i want to make sure the ball carries a trap or hazzard(full backspin shots have more carry but less roll).  When i differ from VanHalenLover is that i usually put the dot about 3/4 down on most drives.  I think it gives a little more distance but am not really sure.  Very interesting post...

Another tip is if you need an extra 4 or 5 yards on an iron, topspin can do the trick if you are in a position to let the ball roll.

RSS