Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Using a large HDTV, 1080P, as a monitor for playing the game.

Wed, Sep 29 2010 7:02 AM (9 replies)
  • GL57
    83 Posts
    Mon, Sep 27 2010 11:19 AM

Besides Faterson, have other players done this, and if yes, what was their experience like? How was the picture (quality and borders size), and did the meter behave (any lag)?

• waynewhitetiger
    113 Posts
    Mon, Sep 27 2010 12:07 PM

I play on a 42" hdtv 1080p and it is GREAT!  Meter behaves as it did on my computer monitor.  I also play with somone using a second computer so we can talk over skype rather than type chatting....tons o fun

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Mon, Sep 27 2010 12:13 PM

Picture quality is gorgeous. Of course, it's recommended to use a PC with a good, dedicated graphics card, but I also tried a cheap notebook and that looked OK as well. Also, you would want to use an HDMI cable connection instead of an old-fashioned VGA cable.

The borders on the 46-inch Samsung TV screen are pretty much the same as on my main office monitor, a 24-inch Samsung. WGT just doesn't support widescreen at this point, but this doesn't spoil my appreciation of, say, Bethpage Black's eye-popping verdure.    There used to be a time, a year ago or so, when the full-screen borders on WGT.com were an ugly colour that stood out too much, but it's fine the way it's been in recent months.

The lag wasn't greater or smaller than on my regular monitor. And, you can imagine how huge the shot meter is on a 46-inch screen; you might argue it makes it easier to "hit the ding". I couldn't really confirm that, but... the game is definitely playable and enjoyable for me on the big TV screen.

• GL57
    83 Posts
    Mon, Sep 27 2010 2:13 PM

Very helpful, thanks a bunch!

• griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2010 6:18 AM

i connected my laptop to a large screen tv using the HDMI cable. I found that the timing on the meter had changed, so much so it made the game unplayable.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2010 8:03 AM

"Laptop" is a very broad term. There are all kinds of "laptops". I have found that when I connect my best laptop with a dedicated 256MB graphics card to the TV set, the game remains perfectly playable, there's no additional disruption to the shot meter, etc. But when I connected a cheap laptop with an integrated graphics card to the same TV set, the quality of pictures got worse and the shot meter tended to be more skippy. However, the game remained playable for me under both scenarios.

• sayo
    56 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2010 9:28 AM

i use my 64 inch sony 1080p hd tv with my macbook and i find its alot easier to connect on the power bar . due to it being massive. but i run my graphix setting on low to ensure i dont get any meter skip.... since i have been doing this i found my game has greatly improved 

• griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Tue, Sep 28 2010 5:29 PM

sayo:

i use my 64 inch sony 1080p hd tv with my macbook and i find its alot easier to connect on the power bar . due to it being massive. but i run my graphics setting on low to ensure i dont get any meter skip.... since i have been doing this i found my game has greatly improved 

Haha, lowing the graphics might be the answer to my problem, i am sure its not my laptop or tv, both are high end.....thanks

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Sep 29 2010 3:20 AM

Hmm.... I use "top quality" Flash settings on my machine and still see no "show-stopping" issues when I connect the laptop to the TV set.  

• griffygriff
    597 Posts
    Wed, Sep 29 2010 7:02 AM

"Survey says" while it works for some , it doe'sn't work for others. So players interested in trying it should  buy a hdmi cable and give it a go. GL57, knowing your situation playing this game on a big screen might help, it may even improve your game....try it.

RSS