Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Trying to putt from the fringe

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jul 21 2010 8:41 AM (7 replies)
  • Bluenose12
    2,101 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 3:52 AM

In my last couple of rounds I have been on the fringe,as you know putter is selected automatically,however when I try to putt the ball (even perfect on the ding) the putter hits the ball but the ball doesn't move and a stroke is counted.I am now having to pitch or chip every time I land on the fringe,this is very frustrating and it just cost me a stroke in a club tourney round there just now.

Has anyone else suffered this problem,if so how is it fixed?

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 5:39 AM

Hi,

I putt quite regularly from the fringe without any problems. But ..... you have to be just off the green. If you are well into the fringe then you're going to have to practice the shot a bit to work out the required power.

I actually putted from the fairway a while back with very good results. I must  have got lucky with the power calc but it worked. You just have to practice it to see if its an option.

Chipping is the next best thing, especially from the fringe.

Cheers

Doug

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 6:42 AM

Fringe putting is a massive fail at this site.

Nowhere near realistic, and is by far the worst fringe putting of ANY golf game I've played.   And I've been playing video golf games for over 20 years.

• tjos
    231 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 7:00 AM

I'm thinking there might be a little glitch in the system.   I have never had a problem putting from the fringe HOWEVER just the other day what happened to you happened to me.  I whacked the ball with the putter three times and it just sat there.   Ended up chipping the thing onto the green.  Hasn't happened since.   Sorry it's not an answer but apparently this happens on occasion.

• Bluenose12
    2,101 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 7:37 AM

Thanks for the replies,I used to be able to putt from the fringe but I meant that now the ball does not budge AT ALL when I hit it on the fringe with the putter.

• DaBigPossum
    4 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 8:41 AM

I for one have had no problems with fringe putting, although I managed to 3 jack from 2.8' at Kiawah last night - JEEZ

• RChapman2010
    172 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 8:55 AM

I'm just speaking for myself, but I putt from the fringe all the time, with fairly successful results. Now, if my lie indicator says I have, for example, a %10-15 lie, I will not putt, but rather chip, pitch, or flop.

Also, don't forget to watch your meter strength when on the fringe - with the beginner putter it will default to 150 feet. I've hit many a chip shot back on the green after putting it onto the fairway by not paying attention to my meter.

And, as was said earlier, I've even putted from the fairway myself at St. Andrew's, because any other shot would not put me close enough to the pin. It's all about picking the right tool for the job.

And, like with everything, it takes a lot of practice and experimenting to find out what works.

Good luck, and don't give up.

• Bluenose12
    2,101 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 10:27 AM

Thanks again,I've decided to just pitch from now on as I'm good at that.

RSS