Forums

Help › Forums

Re: a few questions

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jul 21 2010 8:44 AM (4 replies)
  • rickertt
    16 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 5:18 PM

I have only started playing today and have a couple questions. Any help would be appreciated.

Is the system sensitive to how smooth the backswing is? I just wondered if I can start my backswing, stop it without releasing the button and then either increase or decrease it and then let go of the button?

Is the only way to get more distance to pay real money for better clubs?

Thanks for the help. I have been enjoying this.

• hesomist
    62 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 8:41 PM

Welcome to WGT, rickertt.  Be careful.  It's addicting!  :-)

Yes, you can start your backswing and increase or decrease it while still holding down your mouse button.  Your swing and your ball is not affected by the "smoothness" of your backswing.  However, if you are in your backswing for too long (around 5 seconds) you will have less forgiveness on off-center hits.  You'll know you're holding it too long if you see the vertical lines that define the "hitting zone" start moving closer to the larger, middle line.  If you notice this, you can decrease your power to zero, and release the button.  You can then start your whole swing sequence from scratch.  You can also release your button and let the swing meter go all the way through without clicking.  Your player will swing and miss the ball, similar to a practice swing.  There is no penalty for doing this.

The only way to see a significant increase in distance is to use credits for better clubs.  You can search the forums or use the FAQs to see alternate ways to get credits besides purchasing them with your own money.  Most common ways are to place well in tourneys and completing third party offers.

To gain more distance with your current clubs really depends on wind conditions and what type of slope your ball lands on.  If you are hitting with a tail wind, you can put back-spin on your ball to give it more loft and allow it to carry a little farther.  If you are hitting into a headwind, try putting top-spin on the ball so if will roll out a bit more.  (Use the little dot on the ball in the bottom-right of your game window to impart spin.  Move the ball to the top of the ball for top-spin and to the bottom of the ball for back-spin.)

Hope this helps.  I don't mind playing some rounds with you if you have further questions.  Happy hitting.

hesomist

• hesomist
    62 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 8:45 PM

Also, there are some balls in the pro shop that help with distance, but again you will need some credits to get these.

hesomist

• rickertt
    16 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 10:10 PM

One other thing. I haven't found any information about how the lie effects the ball flight and how to read it on the screen. Thanks for all of your help.

• hesomist
    62 Posts
    Wed, Jul 21 2010 8:44 AM

You can determine the lie of your ball by looking just above the swing meter to the left of your ball  (e.g. fairway, 20-25% rough, 40-50% rough, 15-20% bunker, etc).  The percentages indicate how deep the ball is in the rough or sand.  The higher the %, the deeper the ball.  The deeper your ball, the more distance will be taken off your clubs.  You'll need to practice different shots with your clubs (full, punch, etc) to determine how much shorter your clubs hit in certain lies.  Other lies (sidehill, downhill, and uphill) do not affect the flight of ball in the current beta version.  Not sure if this is in WGT's future plans.

hesomist

RSS