Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Practice

Tue, Jul 20 2010 7:42 PM (9 replies)
  • preacoupe
    3 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 2:19 PM

How can I simply practice...experiment.  I want to be able to see what effect some changes make.  Everything now is a competition and I only get one shot....not learning much.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 2:37 PM

Hi preacoupe,

To play a practice round just load up the game client and click SINGLE PLAYER GAME and then SELECT COURSE.  If you select Kiawah Island, Bethpage or St. Andrews then select STROKE PLAY from the menu.  Right below that you'll see an option for ranked or practice rounds.  If you choose practice you'll be able to setup your own conditions and your stats will not be saved to your profile.

If you select Oakmont you'll be redirected to the USGA siteshell.  From there just choose EXPERIENCE OAKMONT and then PLAY SINGLE PLAYER.  After clicking that you'll see the options to set up a ranked round or practice round.

• preacoupe
    3 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 3:43 PM

No, that's not what I meant.  I don't want to play a "practice round".  I want to hit shot after shot with the same club from the same spot.  Then, I can learn what changes I make will have what effect on the shots, etc.  Like in the real world.  I want to learn how the power meter relates to the max distance of the club under varying conditions (lie, wind, club selection, etc.)  In a 1 shot at a time practice round, I won't know what I did wrong on any given shot.  And, I can't just "load it up" again and try Plan B so to speak.

Thanks. I hope this clarifies my needs.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 4:05 PM

Practice facilities have been on the players' wish list since before there were any courses to play... unfortunately,  this is not high on WGT's list of things to do.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sun, Jul 18 2010 4:09 PM

Ah, I see.  Players do not have the ability to drop a ball anywhere on the course and repeat the same shot over and over.  The main reason for its omission is to prevent the highly skilled players from notating every shot and specific situation in the game.  The best players stand to gain more of an advantage over your average player if this type of practice was allowed and we are strongly against turning the game into a science.  We want players to rely most on feel and familiarity, so we have decided against allowing folks to practice that way.

The best way to learn the game is to just practice, play and ask questions on the forum.  Many players are quite helpful and won't hesitate to offer their advice for certain situations.

Good Luck =)

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Mon, Jul 19 2010 6:21 AM

WGTniv:

Ah, I see.  Players do not have the ability to drop a ball anywhere on the course and repeat the same shot over and over.  The main reason for its omission is to prevent the highly skilled players from notating every shot and specific situation in the game.  The best players stand to gain more of an advantage over your average player if this type of practice was allowed and we are strongly against turning the game into a science.  We want players to rely most on feel and familiarity, so we have decided against allowing folks to practice that way.

The best way to learn the game is to just practice, play and ask questions on the forum.  Many players are quite helpful and won't hesitate to offer their advice for certain situations.

Good Luck =)

Niv, I think it's less of wanting the ability to drop a ball anywhere on the course like Tour Pros do in practice rounds.  I think most people (like Snaike stated) are asking about a practice chipping green,  a putting green, and a drving range.

Now I understand that a course takes 6 months and thousands of photos which is why we only have 4 but a practice area (driving range, putting green, and chipping green w/ a bunker) can't take many more pictures than 1 or 2 holes would.... Can it?

Take it away Niv

-King

• preacoupe
    3 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 10:02 AM
    King, Yes, that is exactly what I meant. I agree that for someone to 'scientifically reproduce" each shot is against the spirit of the game. I want a drving range, chipping, and putting practice areas. Not to be critical of WGT, but EA Sports' Tiger Woods games, have those areas available. There's only one driving range...not one for each course. The purpose is to learn just how much power on the meter relates to distance. Otherwise, I'm just hitting and hoping. One other feature that TW from EA Sports has that I love is that instead of the meter and timing a mouse button, you can move the mouse. Greater forward speed means greater speed of the club. But of even greater realism is hooking or slicing the shot via a left-to right or right-to-left movement in addition to the forward motion of the mouse. Now, that is more enjoyable and realistic than mouse clicking. Perhaps another discussion? Dennis
    1,644 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 10:21 AM

preacoupe:
    One other feature that TW from EA Sports has that I love is that instead of the meter and timing a mouse button, you can move the mouse. Greater forward speed means greater speed of the club. But of even greater realism is hooking or slicing the shot via a left-to right or right-to-left movement in addition to the forward motion of the mouse. Now, that is more enjoyable and realistic than mouse clicking. Perhaps another discussion?
    Yes it was another discussion that can be found here.  Too easy to defeat IMO.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 10:35 AM

coupe, the game already has a built-in putt and chip area, it's all the stroke play courses. Use the 10 shots WGT allows on every hole to putt the ball around on the green. You can even hit the ball back in the fairway and replicate your previous shot. The putting and chipping greens just aren't practical at WGT at this point in time. WGT is still building the games BETA platform.

It's a crude way to practice, but it's also effective.  : )

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Tue, Jul 20 2010 7:42 PM

Richard4168:

coupe, the game already has a built-in putt and chip area, it's all the stroke play courses. Use the 10 shots WGT allows on every hole to putt the ball around on the green. You can even hit the ball back in the fairway and replicate your previous shot. The putting and chipping greens just aren't practical at WGT at this point in time. WGT is still building the games BETA platform.

It's a crude way to practice, but it's also effective.  : )

i'd just like to know though why there isn't one. I often defend WGT on these forums but i can't in this case.  Players have been asking for a range forever, and it's not even on the roadmap! I mean this shouldn't be that hard to make, right? It can't require more programing than a CTTH course, can it? JMO

-King

RSS