Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Tournament Wind

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jul 3 2010 6:57 PM (6 replies)
  • UKCats
    165 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 9:48 AM

Are the wind conditions the same for every player on the single matches? It should be because that could be the difference between a 65 or 67. I don't think it would be fair if someone as a helping wind on a hole, and another as a wind in there face on the same exact hole.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 12:11 PM

Hi UK,

The wind conditions are the same range of speeds for everyone in the same tier, but you are correct that you may experience a headwind on one hole while another player receives a tailwind.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 1:06 PM

JMO; But wind conditions for a specific tournament should be randomized and saved to a specific tournament DB. This ensures that everyone is experiencing the same conditions for a given tournament, or ready go;  Thus, the results are representative of the tournament, not the conditions that a player faces during a round.

Have fun and play well

Infinito

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 1:40 PM

I understand your point Infinito but that isn't really the best idea.  The problem with winds that are always the same on tournaments that you can play multiple times is that you figure them out and then you can score better.  While it is strange to play a course one time with a totally different wind than the same tourney, it probably makes the lower scores less likely.  My wind complaint is that they aren't blowing the same direction from hole to hole, they should be true to the direction of the course.

• trumpy959
    99 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 2:12 PM

I would like to see the wind be consistant in WGT's model in relationship to the actual layout of the coarse. A wind in a certain direction on a particular day needs to be in a certain direction on the next hole relative to the layout of the golf coarse and each holes relationship to each other. There are some wind scenarios here that seem to break the laws of physics. For example if the wind were to be North Westerly on a particular day then each hole should have its wind scenario effected in a North Westerly way as that particular hole relates to the other holes on the golf coarse.

best of luck 

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 2:19 PM

You misunderstand my point.  Each Tournament from one to the next, wind conditions would be different, but consistent with low, moderate heavy as specified by the tournamanet.  Wind direction would be consistent within a given tournament but different from tournament to tournament.

• Disfunction
    27 Posts
    Sat, Jul 3 2010 6:57 PM

Here's the thing: In real life, is the wind always the same for every golfer? As long as WGT is striving for virtual reality, I don't see a point in keeping the wind the same.    

RSS