Help › Forums

Re: Oakmont #4 green slope indication is off

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jun 6 2010 7:48 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Jun 6 2010 11:29 AM

I'd really be surprised if its measured from the avatar's feet.  Everything in the game centers on the ball and hole positions.  Including and especially the game physics.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sun, Jun 6 2010 3:17 PM

I've searched (using the meager engine here) through the forums, and reviewed every month's blog in the "News" section since my join date, and can't find where I saw it mentioned... hell... I even tried googling it... to no avail.  :(

"Player's Feet"... "Avatar's Feet"... "Golfer WGT feet elevation aim tool"... etc, have all led to zip... zilch... zero! The thing is... I can remember it being mentioned in an "Official" way - like something that would be in the "FAQ's", (yeah... I checked there first) but it wasn't specific to "the greens". But those, like alot of other things here at WGT have been revised over the months... but still... I can't see information like this simply being "deleted"... I dunno. I also just checked my returned "bug report emails" from WGT, thinking maybe I read it in one of those... not there. And I also checked a couple YouTube WGT Instruction videos... to no avail.

It would be hard to believe, in this game of inches, that this fact isn't common knowledge among the players and developers. But I can see where it may have gone unnoticed until now, when the "Tournament Speed" greens have been visited by so many players.

Sorry if I've confused the issue... but I must say I'm 99% sure I saw it mentioned here @ WGT. I've referred to this "mysterious info" in past posts (in Niv's putting thread), but without mention of where I'd seen it.

Maybe someone inside WGT can give us a concrete answer to the question:   "What is the reference point for the reported elevation changes in the aiming tool... on the green, and elsewhere on the courses?" Niv? Someone? Anyone?

TIA, PugsAce

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sun, Jun 6 2010 4:02 PM

PugsAce:
    "What is the reference point for the reported elevation changes in the aiming tool... on the green, and elsewhere on the courses?

Your ball is the reference point for the distance to the hole as well as being responsible for how the putting grid colors are represented on the green.

The survey equipment the fellas use on the shoots is pretty good.  I've never been on a shoot myself, but they do use professional equipment.  Even with the best equipment there will be still be minor inconsistencies at the 1/4" and 1/2" levels and that's why you may see the occasional oddity, but the margin for error is not large enough to create explicitly incorrect results on the green.  With that said, it's still a good idea to send us an in-game bug report when you do see an elevation issue because we do want to make sure it's as accurate as it possibly can be.

My personal opinion from a players standpoint (remember, I used to be one of those :P) I've played Oakmont pretty thoroughly before it was released (and in our test setup of the Open, complete with Tournament Greens) and I've noticed nothing that would indicate to me that something is seriously wrong.  The greens are tough, fast and slippery, but they do not behave in a manner that was inconsistent with my expectations going in.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sun, Jun 6 2010 7:48 PM

WGTniv:

PugsAce:
    "What is the reference point for the reported elevation changes in the aiming tool... on the green, and elsewhere on the courses?

Your ball is the reference point for the distance to the hole as well as being responsible for how the putting grid colors are represented on the green.

Aiming tool... grid colors... guess they're one in the same...

I stand corrected... thanks WGTniv.

• PAGES
RSS