Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Oakmont #9

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jun 4 2010 9:57 AM (6 replies)
  • neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 6:32 AM

If you are near the 200 mark in the fairway, going uphill to a protected flag, on a  green that has the worst knolls and rolls, is it even worth going for the green? Is laying up to like 50-60yards a better alternative.  Are you guys playing it like Bethpage #4?

• TheZiggy
    550 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 6:44 AM

Laying up short might be a good idea. I do know, to my cost that going beyond the pin, or even level to the left of it, is a bad thing. It's almost a guaranteed bogey from there, but a putt from those positions will not stop close to the hole.

The other possible is to land on the front of the green, so that the first putt has a chance of being close.

• dscroggs4
    113 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 8:11 AM

play it about 70 yards short...just make sure you leave your next below the hole and pretty easy par...

• bpnana
    846 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 8:28 AM

I found out the easiest way to Par #9 is to put your second shot in the front bunker.... then its a easy shot out.  Every time I played it from there I made par every time......

• carlos415
    62 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 8:34 AM

Or you can just go for the hole and three bounce an eagle! ( in my replays) lol the chances of that ever happening to me again are zero.

• TheZiggy
    550 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 8:43 AM

bpnana:

I found out the easiest way to Par #9 is to put your second shot in the front bunker.... then its a easy shot out.  Every time I played it from there I made par every time......

Now you mention it, I think going in that bunker has worked for me every time to get a par. I try not to visit the bunker though if I can help, but it's definitely a much better place to be than beyond the pin.

• gobbog
    150 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 9:57 AM

I agree, that's the ONLY I can par this hole. From the front bunker, a good shot will leave 2 footer up the hill. Other than that, it's almost a sure 3 putt. Or even a 4 or 5 putt!

RSS