Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Guess I'm just gonna have to get another computer at home...

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 18 2010 9:29 AM (7 replies)
  • RChapman2010
    172 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 11:59 AM

Playing at home is just unbearable...  it's so jerky I can't hit anything correctly, and I've done everything possible to make things run smooth...  oh well, I guess...   love the game, just wish it ran smoother.

btw, I have Flash 10, and I'm on a Mac with dual 1GHz processors and 1.25 gigs of RAM, not to mention a lightning fast internet connection, so it's kinda tough to see how it could be on this end...

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 12:24 PM

A new computer could help, but I think only WGT can provide a long-lasting solution to the ongoing problem of "meter lag." 

Tiger Woods Online has it figured out WGT, now you get on it! 

• TarheelsRule
    5,480 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 12:31 PM

Might need a little more ram in your computer but TLD is right this appears to be a WGT issue and not a computer issue.  When I play with a group it seems to be worse the more people in the group, don't notice it as much as a single.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 12:36 PM

Hi Chapman,

You're a little bit under minimum requirements with that setup.  I'm not terribly familiar with Macs, but having dual 1gHZ processors unfortunately doesn't add up to having a 2gHZ processor.  It would be roughly the equivalent of 1.6 gHZ to 1.8 gHZ (ballpark) and that's still just a bit under the Pentium-4 2.0 gHZ min requirement.  There are other factors too, such as ram bus frequency that can slow down the excecution of your PC as well.  If your ram can't keep up with the speed at which your processor operates then that can slow the entire system down.  It's not always about the pure numbers and processors can often be slowed down by the equipment that surrounds them (ram bus frequency, CPU cache and other factors).

For example about a year ago this system I'm on had a 3.0 gHZ Celeron processor, which going straight by the numbers should've meant I had no issues, but Celerons are the "cheap" processors and my performance was really suffering.  I "upgraded" my CPU to a 2.4 gHZ P4 processor and though by the numbers it may look like a downgrade, the Pentium was way more efficient and in the end operated faster.  It's kinda like comparing a Toyota Corolla to a Ferrari.  Both will go 100mph, but the Ferrari does it with a whole lot more efficiency and has some horsepower to spare.

Remember, the specs listed are absolute minimum requirements.  If you don't meet them you will experience general game slowdown across all areas (not just the meter).  Skipping animations, extended loading & meter issues are all a product of low frame rates, which is likely because your processor(s) is working overtime to try and keep up with the demands and the graphical hardware acceleration is suffering as a result.

• Johniedino
    786 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 5:39 PM

Hi Chapman: IMHO we can have the top of the line computer that money can buy  with all the bells and whistles that can be had on these things and you will still get the meter slipping and sliding and stopping and all the other little things it does. They and by they I mean WGT will never ever admit that they might have a problem and will look into it. Their stock reply is "clear your flash cache and clear your browser" and the goop you got for an answer this time from WGT. So just consider the source as they say from whence it comes  and smile and carry on the best you can cause it ain't gonna get any better.

• micklen
    221 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 1:42 PM

Johniedino:

Hi Chapman: IMHO we can have the top of the line computer that money can buy  with all the bells and whistles that can be had on these things and you will still get the meter slipping and sliding and stopping and all the other little things it does. They and by they I mean WGT will never ever admit that they might have a problem and will look into it. Their stock reply is "clear your flash cache and clear your browser" and the goop you got for an answer this time from WGT. So just consider the source as they say from whence it comes  and smile and carry on the best you can cause it ain't gonna get any better.

I keep saying here that I have nowhere near a top of the line computer but I rarely have problems with the meter.  The only time I may get a jitter is when the servers are super busy and if I realise it could happen, a practice swing means that 99% of the time the second swing has no problem at all

Yes, maybe WGT could improve things a bit but if you are having a lot of problems a lot of it has to be put your end as so many others aren't experiencing problems

Mick

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 1:58 PM

Johniedino:
    the top of the line computer that money can buy  with all the bells and whistles that can be had on these things

This is exactly what causes game issues. Given what WGTNiv just laid out, once you get past that these "bells and whistles" get in the way. You need to harness them and eliminate what you don't need/use. Just because the computer's new and big and fancy it doesn't mean it's right-it needs some tuning to your tastes, so to speak.

When I went looking for a computer I looked for the fastest buss speeds and biggest RAM capability. The majority of what you see on the shelf have a  32 bit OS on them. Right away you're limited by the amount of RAM you can use. A 64 bit system can handle 4 GB, way more than you'll ever need for the most part. But it's there. Processor speed AND internal data transfer speeds (side buss, etc.) are really important. A ton of RAM and a single lane highway with a 30 mph speed limit to it doesn't work too swift.

Do a little easy research. You don't need to be a geek about it, just know what to look for. GL

p.s., I'm one of those with very few issues in the game.

• RChapman2010
    172 Posts
    Tue, May 18 2010 9:29 AM

well, with how i've been playing lately, it wouldn't matter...  blah.

RSS