Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Tips on St Andrews # 2 hole...

rated by 0 users
Sun, May 2 2010 5:36 PM (9 replies)
  • golforfunguy66
    22 Posts
    Sat, May 1 2010 6:02 PM
    Just wondering if any of the masters might have some advise on the # 2 hole at SA. I can par the hole 90% of the time but have only birdied it once. Easily ( my ) toughest hole to birdie. I'd love to get within 10 feet on the second shot, but no matter how I plan it out, I'll either roll it long, come up short in the rough, or occasionally miss the mouse click and end up right in the tall undualated greens. Tips any of you masters have would be greatly appreciated.
  • jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Sat, May 1 2010 6:12 PM

That one is my nemesis as well. 

I hit full backspin and TRY to land on the front or very top part of the green to the left of the pin maybe 3 feet or so and roll down.  When I hit that spot it works perfectly, I just dont hit it very often!  I actually eagled the hole once and just about fell out of my chair.

I usually find I have to subtract 5 yards from what I would normally hit too, try that one tip and you'll find that you dont roll past the flag 25 feet, I use to always have this happen as well. 

Now I come up short just off the front more often than not and pitch it on with full backspin to roll down that slippery slope.   The "drop zone" is a VERY small spot, so hitting it is indeed tough. 

Maybe someone else can add something.

GL

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, May 1 2010 6:51 PM

Sweetiepie has a great approach eagle on this hole saved on her profile. Check it out.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Sat, May 1 2010 6:57 PM

Good call Rich, that is the exact shot I was describing!  

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Sat, May 1 2010 7:19 PM

I have an eagle shot saved on my profile.  You must land just past the top of the hill to the left on the pin.   I also have birdied from behind the flag a few times, that one takes practice.

Cheers

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Sat, May 1 2010 7:35 PM

I know the shot..but im not good enough to pull it off very often..seeing that par is a good score here, I put on maximum brakes and hit it level with the hole. Try to keep it north or slightly south of the hole.. with a good wind in your face and its  easy to stop on a dime..but all in all would rather be long than short on this one.

• borntobesting
    9,629 Posts
    Sun, May 2 2010 1:23 PM

Richard4168:

Sweetiepie has a great approach eagle on this hole saved on her profile. Check it out.

She also has on the the best oh no putts saved there. 

• golforfunguy66
    22 Posts
    Sun, May 2 2010 2:05 PM
    Anyone know what iron sweetirpie was using on that shot ? That is what you call perfect. I might have to get a better driver as I am NEVER within 119 yards from the pin with a 13 mph wind at me.
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, May 2 2010 2:41 PM

golforfunguy66:
    Anyone know what iron sweetirpie was using on that shot ? That is what you call perfect. I might have to get a better driver as I am NEVER within 119 yards from the pin with a 13 mph wind at me.

I watched the replay and it shows the shot when I was still using Rapture Irons. It was my 2nd eagle at #2. I believe my first one was from the 138yrd range. I owe both to watching the Avartar Lee replay, who was the first to eagle this hole. It showed me how.

• golforfunguy66
    22 Posts
    Sun, May 2 2010 5:36 PM

Care to share your secret ? You can pm me.

RSS