Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Big Battle Adobe flash and Apple

Thu, Apr 29 2010 10:13 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Apr 25 2010 11:54 AM

So what is the alternative to Flash? What does TWO use that everybody raves about in spite of the posts on their forum about meter jumps?

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Sun, Apr 25 2010 1:04 PM

Flash is owned AND controlled by Adobe...that is why Jobs is so pissed...In Apple's secretive world it's a reality that Jobs can't handle...(Apple does and wants to own and control the primary technologies behind every product they make.)

Also Flash is 32 bit and Jobs wants everything 64 bit...

Add to that, is the fact that Flash is by anyone's opinion the default standard for video playback (amongst other things) on the internet.

But guess what program crashes things the most on the Mac OS...ding ding ding hold all cards we have a winner...FLASH

I'm sure WGT wished they could do more with Flash programming but it's not "open sourced".

It's all about the "P's"

Profits-Politics-Programmability

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Sun, Apr 25 2010 1:19 PM

TWO uses the 'Unity' player. Is it better? Maybe. TWO punishes low end rigs more than WGT does though. IMO.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Apr 25 2010 2:07 PM

So from what I've discerned there is no difference and there is no alternative?

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Sun, Apr 25 2010 3:46 PM

Well I really don't see WGT rewriting all there code to accommodate a different player. All we can hope for is that Flash makes their program more robust.

On the up side with the 'Unity' player being on the market now it might make Adobe start dumping some money into Flash to make it more streamlined.

• cyl6
    347 Posts
    Thu, Apr 29 2010 10:13 AM

FYI, see some recent comments by Jobs on Flash and Apple:

http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/29/steve-jobs-why-apple-snubs-flash/?hpt=T2

• PAGES
RSS