Forums

Help › Forums

Re: How is it possible

Mon, Apr 19 2010 2:22 PM (8 replies)
  • gumshoe
    21 Posts
    Mon, Apr 19 2010 7:40 AM
    Been playing wgt for about 60 rounds so far now a master,but can anyone please explain how people can shoot 27 for nine holes on very difficult courses and conditions . Just wondering am I missing something I don't know cause it's a great game . Is there a secret cause I know it's just not practice . thx
  • salamii
    1,058 Posts
    Mon, Apr 19 2010 8:00 AM

gumshoe:
    Been playing wgt for about 60 rounds so far now a master,but can anyone please explain how people can shoot 27 for nine holes on very difficult courses and conditions . Just wondering am I missing something I don't know cause it's a great game . Is there a secret cause I know it's just not practice . thx

gumshoe, most of the players who shoot that low have hundreds of rounds under their belt. the secret is to practice and play .

• Iceats
    346 Posts
    Mon, Apr 19 2010 8:14 AM
    Gumshoe - I just shot my first 29 a day or so ago - I have almost 1000 ranked rounds and I don't know how many pratice rounds. It seemed quite unlikely to me that players could shot such low rounds until I shot my first 4, then 5, 6 and 7 under par for 9. To achieve master with 60 rounds is quite good - learning the clubs and learning the shots are the secret. Ice
  • micklen
    221 Posts
    Mon, Apr 19 2010 9:02 AM

I have been here since 19th March this year, which is not very long.  My lowest round so far is 30 for 9 at St Annies.  However this as yet is nowhere near my average which is much closer to 34 and that is certainly not at BPB where I am happy to break par

I have only played 78 ranked rounds along with LOADS of practice rounds and I am very pleased with my progress.  However the jump from an average of 34 to and average of 30 is a much bigger jump than that from 155 to 34 and I realise that

Just keep at it and practice as much as you can.  IMO it will be so much easier when we get some sort of practice facility

Good luck in the future and most of all - ENJOY IT!!!

Mick

• gumshoe
    21 Posts
    Mon, Apr 19 2010 9:45 AM

Thanks guys for the tip so practice even though you cannot set it to tournament play just practice and see what happens if you try this and learn thankyou very much so it's off to the range for me see ya

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Mon, Apr 19 2010 10:41 AM

Gumshoe --- practice is the key .. but practice the right way.   There are many things need to be done in order to score well ....Here are just a few of the things the top players do --- I'll be honest .. personally I know what to do .. I just can't execute.   But I play with enough of the top players on WGT to know what should be done.

• You do need to know the clubs and shots .... what distance will each club carry with top spin, no spin, back spin, 1/2 back spin, etc. etc.   
    • What are the different yardages with full, punch, chips, pitch, etc. etc.
    • How does the wind effect each shot (yardage and direction)-- again depending on spin
    • Where do you want to land the ball on the green ... do you use top spin, land short and run it up ? or use backspin and try to stop it on a dime
    • If you miss your shot where on the green do you want to leave it for the easiest possible putt ... (example on St Andrews there are some greens where it's death to get the right yardage but miss left or right .... better off long or short with straight up / down hill putts)
    • Each hole has different ways to play it to optimize your score ... you need to know this.   BP 15 for example ... some go for the green . some go for the rough and try to chip it in.   Risk / Reward on every hole.
    • The top players go for the hole from off the green ... and make a good percentage of them ... chips, pitches, flops ... are all scoring oportunities for them.
    • Putting --- these guys know how to putt and make them most of the time.   You would think after taking over 25,000 putts (my own number)  I would know every inch of every green --- I don't.
    • Finally ... even when you know what to do ... can you do it ???    I know I can't.

I'm sure others can add more and more and more .. but believe me .. it ain't easy to do it consistently.

Anyone can throw up a 29 or a 60 on a hot day ... i've even done a few ... but hats off to the guys who do it consistently.

Also keep this in mind ... a lot of the top players have been playing for a while ... For a year or 2 all they had was Kiawah .... then BP came on board last year.  They know every inch of these holes .... way better than I do.    Then play 1400 ranked rounds, 400 matches ... and double it for practice rounds and pick up games as I have and you'll be shooting those numbers too .... I can't but you can :) ...

Or you can do Like I do .. bang your driver ... hope you get the 2nd shot close and then pray the putt goes in.

Good luck

• gumshoe
    21 Posts
    Mon, Apr 19 2010 10:56 AM

Ivietre thankyou very much on the excellent tips I will practice and take notes for every situation whether I can master them we'll see ha ha. Once again thanks alot really and good luck in your quest and everyonelse to be numger 1. Much apprecitated and good luck to you sir. Gumshoe

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Apr 19 2010 2:06 PM

lvietri:
    There are many things need to be done in order to score well ....Here are just a few of the things the top players do --- I'll be honest .. personally I know what to do .. I just can't execute.   But I play with enough of the top players on WGT to know what should be done.

Epic post, Ivietri ....  A must read.  Seriously, thank you for taking the time to write it all down.

Perhaps a cut and paste sticky somewhere, WGTNiv? 

• smason77
    464 Posts
    Mon, Apr 19 2010 2:22 PM

One thing that no one has mentioned, and is in my opinion, the biggest factor:

Know the holes.

Nobody is going to jump right on any of these courses on here and shoot a 27-29.

The only way to know the holes is to repeatedly play them. Learn what you've done wrong in the past and remember what you've done right.

Too much credence is given to many other parameters which are ultimately irrelevant if you aren't familiar with the hole that you're playing. Especially on BPB.

I'm relatively new to this game as well.. and I'm beginning to see how it takes quite some time to experience and retain every nook and cranny of every hole.

Of course knowing your clubs and the physics of the game are the most elemental of parameters. Yet just like practicing your read, lie, and ball striking one must also practice each hole on every course you're playing. I guess that explains why for some it takes so many rounds to score really well. My best on 9 is a pathetic 31.. and guess where? STA. lol

RSS