Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Getting out of deep rough

rated by 0 users
Tue, Mar 30 2010 10:41 AM (5 replies)
  • SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 10:06 AM

I did a mistake and end up in deep rough at Bethpage hole #8. I was only 30 YDS from the pin and it took me 4 strikes to get out of it!!

I have been told that in "deep situations"... the best way is to use one of the WEDGES and use the PITCH at full force. Well as you can witness it didn't work. I'm afraid to use FULL in case I lose more strokes.

...Or maybe the best way is to declare it lost and take a voluntary stroke penalty and start again from the previous spot.

If someone is willing to share his/her secret about this, I will be grateful!

Cheers all!

Rob

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 10:12 AM

I've been there SC and it happened right after SweetiePie's thread about mulch. Treat it like mulch-it's different. The technique used is the PUNCH shot, not the pitch and you don't have to hit full, just not less than 70% or so.

http://wgt.com/forums/p/5958/36414.aspx#36414

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 10:31 AM

I recently discovered that a flop from 70 80 lie will also work.  I went way above the hole on BPB #5 and was left with no option but to try a flop.  Flopped full 39 yds from 21 and ended up 2 feet from pin and saved par.  Granted there is considerable roll out because that green slopes so severely, but if ever faced with that shot, it will come out.

Pitching from that stuff= instant frustration.

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 11:03 AM

We try to get near the hole when we should be thinking "anywhere on the dance floor".  Something I've use, with some success, is my 64W with a FULL swing adjust for distance.  Try that in a practice game and see what you think.

Joey    

• SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 2:36 PM

Joeyola:
    Something I've use, with some success, is my 64W with a FULL swing adjust for distance.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I was trapped again in that situation on the same course and tried the FULL instead of the PITCH and to my great surprise, it was far better.

jakestanfill7:
    Pitching from that stuff= instant frustration.

I'm not experienced at real golf and treated it like a 60-70% lie in a bunker. Pitching from the sand works well. But from the weeds, I see it's not the same.

jakestanfill7:
    ...and was left with no option but to try a flop

I've noticed that flop shots tend to slice to the right (because our avatars are righties!) about 20-30 degrees. Once I got that, I'm less frustrated with it.

Well like I promised, I'm very thankful to you all for the tips!

Rob

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 10:41 AM

Joeyola:

We try to get near the hole when we should be thinking "anywhere on the dance floor".  Something I've use, with some success, is my 64W with a FULL swing adjust for distance.  Try that in a practice game and see what you think.

Joey    

I recently added the 64 wedge and it is terrific! It seems as though when I use full backspin it shortens the distance I want to hit it. So I have to hit it a bit harder or take some backspin off. But it will stop the ball close to where it first lands. Very little rollout except on steep downhills. I tend to plan my 2nd shots on par 5s to try to put the ball about 40-45 ft from the flag so I can then try to stick it close.

RSS