Forums

Help › Forums

Re: For those of us Less Fortunate

Fri, Mar 26 2010 5:42 AM (29 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2010 5:13 PM

Whether or not the OP was "begging", which I didn't interpret it as, is immaterial. I took exception to the fact that this guy's very first post ever got met with what it did. It just seemed obnoxious to me and I felt bad that he tried to delete it. If he had had a few more posts I probably would have joined in the jousting myself.

There are a lot of humorists here and it makes it fun to read. It's even funnier when OP's set themselves up and everybody laughs. The timing is another story.

• ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2010 5:23 PM

YankeeJim:

Whether or not the OP was "begging", which I didn't interpret it as, is immaterial. I took exception to the fact that this guy's very first post ever got met with what it did. It just seemed obnoxious to me and I felt bad that he tried to delete it. If he had had a few more posts I probably would have joined in the jousting myself.

There are a lot of humorists here and it makes it fun to read. It's even funnier when OP's set themselves up and everybody laughs. The timing is another story.

You've got this backwards, man.  The reason the guy SHOULD be lambasted for begging like a damn fool on a forum is because it was his first post....not in spite of it.  A guy that introduces himself, joins in on topics, etc, is FAR more likely to get my charity than an idiot whos first and only post is begging for free stuff.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2010 5:52 PM

ghettocop1:
    A guy that introduces himself, joins in on topics, etc, is FAR more likely to get my charity than an idiot whos first and only post is begging for free stuff.
    Hey GC... I'm around 1900 in now... can I start begging??

Or is it still too soon??  (lol)

Peace.

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2010 6:15 PM

Snaike:
    I'm around 1900 in now....
     Well, there's mention of other ways to earn credits becoming available and some have suggested that forum posting be rewarded.  If that were to happen then the Maserati just got a little closer to your driveway. 

www.web-smilie.de

If not, then your avatar might have to do part-time gimp work during the next Folsom Street Fair.

smiley icons

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2010 7:06 PM

OaktheToke:
    Snaike:
    I'm around 1900 in now....

www.web-smilie.de

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Mar 25 2010 5:00 AM

ghettocop1:
    You've got this backwards, man.  The reason the guy SHOULD be lambasted for begging like a damn fool on a forum is because it was his first post

A casual suggestion hardly constitutes begging like a damned fool.

Do you think it might be possible that being here for as long as he has been and realizing all the free tournaments don't provide a real source of credits that maybe there's another way? Like asking? That's the way I saw it. After all, you can't get your face slapped unless you ask. You might get slapped a lot but you'll get laid a lot too!

The guy wasn't a fool or an idiot. Give him the benefit of the doubt.

• overtheedge
    5,878 Posts
    Thu, Mar 25 2010 2:11 PM

OMG.....this is Great! I love these type of threads. It keeps me coming back : )) Yankee J... No matter what you may think of me and of my post/thread contributions, I think your alllll- right. Getting back to the subject at hand, it is the world we live in and it is truly sad. It is a time of be careful what you say - be careful what you do - be carefule what you write - be careful who your talking to - it is a world that lacks trust in his fellow man and that my friends is "truly sad". Truly trusting someone you dont know that well is hard to do. Trusting what someone is saying and asking " ON-LINE" is especially hard to do, giving him/her the benefit of doubt or not.

OTT....made for TV series - freaking LOL! : )))  that is rich

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Thu, Mar 25 2010 11:48 PM

In this day and age id try reading things more than once to get the true gist of what is trying to be said, especially in a forum as multicultural as this one as there are many ways to express a thought .

Yankeejim your the man buddy but you dont need me to tell you that .

In this day and age i feel the human population of the planet has lost its humility in favor of  a presumption that everybody is out for what they can get which i believe to be a sad state of affairs.

Just remember no matter how much you judge a person that you yourself will judged also. So if you dish it out be prepared to receive because thats CAMA YING & YANG.

Go back to the 1st post he has now written it differently and as it happens he wasnt asking for anything.

CSC

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Fri, Mar 26 2010 1:25 AM

The first post was clearly begging.  Matter of fact, if you look up the definition of begging in the dictionary, you'd see a picture of his avatar there along with the erased post as an example.  There is no way anyone could interpret the post any other way.  The title of the thread is actually milder than the tone of his post which went something like this.....

"to all those master players who don't use some of their clubs anymore, please help a poor soul out and give them to someone who can't afford them, like me, so he/she/I can have more fun playing the game"

The OP was begging for a gift and actually didn't know the gifting rules because he should know that you can't gift used clubs you can only gift new stuff.  So, he came on here to beg but asked for something that couldn't be given.  Actually, if he had begged for clubs within the gifting guidelines than I wouldn't have replied at all with the harmless joke.  Now he tries to backtrack by changing the post to something completely different of what he initially posted.  Before I initially replied I remember seeing that he plays a fair amount of sweeps, is somewhat sporadic, from the US and represents the Navy.  I don't know him from a can of paint but at first glance he probably wouldn't be my ideal candidate for benevolence, especially since his first introduction to everyone was an attempt to panhandle instead of asking for advice.   This doesn't mean I think he's a bad guy, just one that chose to post before he read the rules.

He was successful though because he got a driver and balls out of the post.  Perhaps if tried he to play with a Master player first before asking one to reach in their pocket, he might have had a warmer reception which wasn't all that cold to begin with.

Maybe the OP is less fortunate and maybe he isn't.  Fact is no one really knows but him.  What I do know is that this is a video game community and not the Peace Corps.  There is no shame in people begging for money for food or necessities for themselves or their family.  Begging for virtual clubs on a video game forum is not even in the same ballpark and isn't above a mild ribbing when done incorrectly.

So since he was successful, hopefully this starts a swell pattern of people creating threads asking for handouts.  Maybe the beggar threads will soon eclipse the amount of ones about cheaters and maybe even someday overtake quitter threads as the topic of choice in the WGT Forum.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Mar 26 2010 5:42 AM

OaktheToke:
    He was successful though because he got a driver and balls out of the post.

He already had those-I looked before I posted the first time.

Now, with the rewording of the original post, this thread has come full circle with an interesting collection of viewpoints and opinions. I say Oak, Snaike and Faterson have it in perspective and kept it from getting fugly. Good job.

OaktheToke:
    So since he was successful, hopefully this starts a swell pattern of people creating threads asking for handouts.

LOL-I wouldn't count on it after this. I would think anybody that has the nerve to do this is going to get killed unless Sally Struthers sponsors the request.  :-D

RSS